Karplus Strong

Post your presets to share with other Solaris owners.

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Weston Underwood

Karplus Strong

Post by Weston Underwood »

I'm not sure if I got them all in here or even if they are all KS. Once I got them out of the solaris I couldn't remember which was which (a different method of naming these things would be great!)

I tried to use the patch naming software but it only showed the original patches not mine so I guessed!

Any way all the KS ones have KS in the name. I've attached them as a zip (the site will not accept .pre as an attachment)
Archive.zip
KS examples
(8.41 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
Let me know your thoughts and improvements.

Kind regards
Last edited by Weston Underwood on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Karplus Strong

Post by John Bowen »

OK, here is a Bank7 with the Karplus Strong presets Weston made. They are renumbered 0-6.

UPDATE: The Presets were routed to the S/P DIF outputs, so here's a set now using the main Outputs (1 & 2):
KS for Solaris 2.zip
(13.72 KiB) Downloaded 742 times
UPDATE: the reason is a Microsoft licensing thing, so by using all caps in our structure, we don't have to pay an extra fee. So, this is normal now for the Solaris, and should not create any problems. Also, Bernard has updated his utilities to address this.

john b.

p.s. Since the last factory bank I made was Bank6, I named this Bank7, but of course, if you already have more Banks you've created, then just renumber the Bank to the next ascending number.
Weston Underwood

Just a word of warning, they aren't tuned currently. In order to tune them use the cutoff in the comb filter.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I have made a couple of really nice presets based on your models.
Thanks for your excellent work.
I have a really decent sounding Leslie Guitar that sounds exactly like Steve Howe's counterpoint during the song And You And I. Really surpising, but I do run Solaris rthrough a new Leslie Studio 12.
Much better than the DSP B3 Phys Mod in Scope.

Thanks Again.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Weston,

I finally had a chance to go through your KS presets. I'm puzzled why you are routing things through the Insert FX, since you aren't using them? You have the Filter inputs as being the Insert FX, and the Mixer as the input to the Insert FX, but no FX (Mode = Off), so this is the same as feeding the Mixer directly into the Filter.
Weston Underwood

Hi John, just for future flexibilty. Allows me to add in some crunch if needs be but not dialed in on these.

The other question was regarding SPDIF R and L. I just used these to try out using the delay as a time controllable element. It would be great to have a delay available at an earlier stage. Changing the delay free hand from 2ms-4ms makes such great harmonics pop out. Would be superb to be able to do this with modulation rather than a finger on the jog wheel and by VCA!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Weston,

Adding a small delay module to the Insert FX should be possible, but currently there's only the single parameter for Amount.
What would be the crucial parameters to have for this FX, specifically? Obviously, we need a Delay Time control (which would be modulated if we just straightaway replaced Amount with Time for this one effect), but there are some empty spots in the display window where we could add 1 or 2 things.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Good news,
what do we need for KS sound :
feedback
modulation of delay time
modulation of feedback could be interesting.
Weston Underwood

In order of priority my guess would be delay time, add or subtract (could be via a send amount e.g. +100% to -100%). Filtering could be provided by the downstream filter and further feedback by referencing the filter in the mixer that supplies the Insert FX. If you were feeling generous a direct feedback setting (without filtering obviously) within the Insert FX would be most flexible and save a slot elsewhere. Obviously delay time and add/subtract amount would ideally both be modulated. It would also be helpful if the delay output (lets say delay out 1-4) was also an input choice so that the delay output could be used in rotors, pans, other mixers etc.

In terms of interface, just of the top of my head, the layout of the Mixers seems the most flexible with the titles e.g. Delay Time, Amount, Feedback with values on one page and mod sources and amounts on the next.

That's my dream scenario, tunable, configurable, feedback per channel. Not sure what the rest of the crew think!?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

1) Add or Subtract - sorry, this is meant for the feedback level?
2) Separate Delay outputs (Delay out 1-4) = why wouldn't you just use the Insert FX1-4 signal, since we are talking about a delay in this section? You have only 1 choice of effect here - we would not be providing a string of effects in series in the module.

The overall problem, as I see it, is that this signal path is already constructed, and is fairly simple - you have a Bypass position (Off), or you select one of a number of effects. Then you select if it's pre- or post-filter with the Input1 Select, and lastly, you have a 'Value'. The Value parameter affects the bit resolution for BitChop, the sample rate for the Decimator, and the strength of the Distortion, so it is a variable. Also, you can then modulate this Value with sidechain control. (And unlike the Scope plugin version, you cannot crossfade from dry to wet - the input signal is 100% 'wet' for the Insert FX).

For the Delay effect, it needs to be equally simple, and the Value parameter could be be (should be?) the Delay Time. I'm not sure if we can even add additional parameters into the Insert FX structure, but now that I'm back at Sonic Core, we will have a meeting on Thursday to discuss features such as this.

cheers,
john b.
Weston Underwood

Hi JB. I know its tricky shoe horning stuff in. I see it as really a variation on the comb filter just with more control. The add or subtract is similar to tube or comb. You are quite right about using Insert FX1-4 that is of course the same thing.

Ta for considering it. It was you that mentioned squeezing in extra parameters ;-) You shouldn't have got me thinking/hoping!

BW
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

well, let's see what they say. I mean, the design is such that I wanted to be able to expand without hurting the UI much. For example - as it is, you page down to get to the Modulation page of the Insert FX, so there's nothing saying you couldn't have another page or two after that to handle other things. :-)
(Ah, but there is coding time, which is at a premium right now!)
Weston Underwood

You're the boss when it comes to how you cut your coding cloth!

It does fit with your aim of expanding the effect section and the effects DSP utilisation with a reasonable impact on synthesis flexibility. An internal echo of that sort is hard to replicate in another outboard box unlike a reverb of which there are plenty. Although with an eventide h8000fw and enough cables some of it could be achieved using auxiliary outs and external audio in.

I would guess thought that other things like bug squashing, DSP optimisation to finesse voice count and other things are also high on Thursday's agenda! Just a guess of course ;-)