New Preset Bank by Brian Kehew

Post your presets to share with other Solaris owners.

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

New Preset Bank by Brian Kehew

Post by John Bowen »

I’m very happy to announce the release today of a brand new bank of 100 wonderful sounds by the synth expert Brian Kehew. Brian is well-known in the synthesizer world, having spent time on the road playing keyboards for The Who, and his own group The Moog Cookbook, as well as having co-authored the book, “Recording the Beatles”. He has served as the Archives Historian for the Bob Moog Foundation, a non-profit whose goal is to preserve the archives of Dr. Robert Moog and to teach children about science, music, and innovation. You can read more about Brian’s background at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kehew or https://www.facebook.com/brian.kehew.9.

You can find the Preset Bank and a text file list of the presets below. I’ve labeled it Bank10, which is the next available bank in the Factory Preset group, but if you already have a bank10, then just rename it to the next highest bank number (Bank11, etc.), and place it in your Presets folder.

Many thanks to Brian for his splendid work - many months were spent on this set of sounds, over a 2-year period (Brian is a very busy guy!!). Brian’s work with film is reflected in a number of these sounds, and he will be posting some ‘Performance Notes’ videos in the future.

I have these comments from Brian:

I wanted to explore the non-retro parts of the Solaris potential. I think the world has been stuck in 1980s polysynth limitations too long. I'm so excited by this part of the Solaris - the clarity and resolution are incredible, but still using the "language" we speak (of oscillators and filters etc.) to create.

Many of these sounds evolve over time. I have done some more retro sounds here, while trying to add something modern or more "dense" than was possible 30 years ago. Some of these may become jumping-off points for your own ideas, I hope. Some sounds are just playing with the many interacting modulations, generative patches or sound FX that can go on forever. I don't have time to dial in all the options of controllers for every sound, but a quite a few have a mod-wheel option to use.

It's quite a variety, and certainly most of these are not possible on any other instrument I know. It's an amazing design, still evolving, and I don't think I will ever "bump my head" on the ceiling of what it can do...

Brian Kehew

Bank10.zip
(203.62 KiB) Downloaded 1109 times
Brian_Kehew_banklist.pdf.zip
(17.45 KiB) Downloaded 1040 times
progrock1

Re: New Preset Bank by Brian Kehew

Post by progrock1 »

awesome. Looking forward to downloading and exploring these sonic creations. Thank you!
Last edited by progrock1 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poupouye

Post by poupouye »

Thanks to Brian to build it and to John to give us :)
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

We all know what kind of comitment it is to make presets with such a powerfull synth as the Solaris. Many thanks to Brian for this bank !
jgale

Post by jgale »

Very cool presets! They really show the power of the Solaris modulation capabilities.

Thank you Brian for this effort and thank you John for bringing these to us!

John
pfrancq

Post by pfrancq »

Non only do these presets show the versatility of the Solaris, but there are also very inspiring for my own presets.
Many thanks to Brian.
Pascal Francq
nachtsmeer

Post by nachtsmeer »

Many thanks to Brian for these presets. I know how time consuming (and also rewarding) it is to create special presets.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Than you so much for sharing this, awesome.
inaheartbeat

Post by inaheartbeat »

I just spent a bunch of time going through all these presets. Wow.....what great work. Thank you so much for these. I learned a lot just looking at how some of these were constructed. Patch 42, Starpeggios was just awesome!
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Another gift from talented programmer.
Much thanks to JB and the God Kehew....
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
niversen

Post by niversen »

Thank you for the great patches!
francois

Post by francois »

Fab presets. Thanks.
"Sit Solaris vobiscum"
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Make sure you watch Brian’s video, demonstrating each of his 100 presets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGwpXhp-Xw&t=2s
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

Big round of applause to Brian for his time and efforts to create this new bank of patches. These sounds are fantastic and it's incredibly generous of BK to share these with the forum.

I'm more impressed with these than any of the preset collections to come before... on any synth for that matter! ..there is a tonne of fresh and useful stuff in here, sadly, you won't see a collection like this on any 'new release' synth.. instead you'll find the same ol' "once more run around the block" clav's, e. pianos, sax, upright bass... Zz Zz Zz Zz

Seriously, amazing work Brian, thanks very much !
salX

Post by salX »

Love it. Puff Rice is so Sugar Rush. Thank you.