Ken Elhardt Preset group

Post your presets to share with other Solaris owners.

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

Ken Elhardt Preset group

Post by John Bowen »

Here is the first ‘expansion set’ of new presets for the Solaris, created by Ken Elhardt. There are 53 Presets covering a variety of instrumental (and other) sounds. To hear musical examples using these presets (which best show how to play them), Ken has created 16 new audio demos files, which you can hear at the Solaris Synth SoundCloud page: http://soundcloud.com/solaris-synth/set ... -demos-set

Once you download and unzip the files, you will find a folder called, ‘BankN’. All you need to do is drag and drop this folder into your factory CF card’s Presets folder. Then it is necessary to rename the bank to be the very next available bank number (replacing the letter ’N’ with the next number). For example, if you still have the factory Presets folder as shipped, you should have Bank0 through Bank3, therefore you would change BankN to Bank4.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL YOU RENAME THE BANK! Otherwise, the Solaris will not be able to properly recognize the Presets.

You can download them here:
Ken Elhardt's Solaris Presets.zip
(200.84 KiB) Downloaded 817 times
Note also there is an .rtf document describing the presets and Ken’s personal notes on some of the intentions and uses he had in mind. Make sure your read these notes to get full understanding of how to make best usage of Ken’s presets. (A good Reverb is highly recommended!)

Thanks to Ken for a great job and a lot of hard work!

I hope you enjoy these....

cheers,
John Bowen
alexg

Re: Ken Elhardt Preset group

Post by alexg »

Thanks for that !
I really love the Mellotron choirs and the W. Carlos 1 !
francois

Post by francois »

Thanks John and Ken. Top notch stuff, which I will delve into to see how it's done !
"Sit Solaris vobiscum"
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Fierce........
Kettle Drums, Choirs, U2 and certain Karplus String tones are phenominal...
Thanks So Much.

FWIW, your presets will be heard, I am pimping them live.

I am curious though. How did you get the Who licks so dialed in, I can’t get that sequence, is it available with the preset somewhere.....?
I always wanted to know how they did that.
It took me forever as a Kid to get the Phased Organ parts of We Wont Folled Again, but I never got this one.

Please throw me a bone, so when I die I can claim I woodshedded ELP solos and every little Classic phrase known...

Thanks.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

About Baba O’Riley - his preset made me look up the story behind the original, which I always thought was done with the ARP 2500 Townsend had...but this is not the case!

I found this:

> Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ:
> Baba O’Riley/Won’t Get Fooled Again ‘synthesizer’ sound
>
> Pete, on the organ sound for Won’t Get Fooled Again and Baba O’Riley:
>
> I used gated Lowrey organ via EMS VCS3 gated filter. No sequencer. I got my ARP 2500 system (huge) just after I’d recorded the first few demos for Who’s Next. Baba O’Riley was a cheat. I couldn’t get the sequencers and mix-sequencers on the ARP under my fingers fast enough so I emulated sequencing and tape delays using the Marimba Arpeggiator effect on my Lowrey Berkshire.
>
> From Rich Rowley:
>
> Equipment used: Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ from 1968.
>
> Baba O’Riley
>
> I’d always thought this was programmed into Pete’s huge modular ARP 2500 synth/sequencer. It certainly sounds like it could have been! It’s hard to believe that the sound we hear on Baba O’Riley is really a Lowrey home organ. The model Pete used was a TBO-1, but for anyone wishing to recreate Baba O’Riley, just pick one up the following models to do the same job: TLO, DSO, TLS, TSO 25 and HR and GAK (seems to be the nearest). Pete is using a setting called “marimba repeat.” This is different from a normal repeat effect in that certain notes are repeated either on or off the beat creating a much more complicated repeat pattern. For example the following group of notes sound ON the beat when these keys are held F-G, B-C#, and these other notes G#- A#, D-E repeat off the beat creating the alternating pattern heard on Baba O’Riley. In addition, a setting called Wow-Wow is used, much like a guitarist’s wah-wah pedal. It’s not that obvious in the Who’s Next version as it’s only being used as a tone control; but in Pete’s original demo, the effect is used in the regular way. It’s often been reported that Pete recorded the part at half speed, making playback sound fast and frantic (Terry Riley often did this), and again sounds possible but it is performed in real time. If you get the chance to try one of these organs, hit that marimba repeat tab and you will quickly realise how it inspired Pete to come up with this fabulous keyboard part.
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

That is absolutely right... When I was a kid, my next door neighbor had a Lowrey organ and we stumbled upon that and many other "non-organ" type sounds when we were kids. If I remember correctly, that trill could only be assigned to the lower manual. VERY fun to play. He still has it too, I should stop by and make a short video of it. It wasn't until about 7-8 years ago that we found out that he actually used this for that song. Needless to say we were completely blown away! Cool fact...
bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

Very nice! Deconstructing these is going to be a learning experience. Love #19 KE Guitar Full Body. Sounds like one of my favorite Kurz samples.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

The Mellotron Choirs and Kettle Drums are insanely realistic.
Thanks for tha Baba O'Reilly stuff. Can;t believe I woodshedded Tarkus and Take a Pebble, Dlothos from the 3 Fates, and could never grab the Lowrey Who Marimrba sequence. Didn;t soound like a marimba, but rather a Banjo,.....great knowledge though.
If one can emulate, the knowledge can be turned into cash, at least in Vegas...
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Well, it’s not a marimba sound, of course - that’s just the name of the repeater effect, I think.