User Interface

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Woody

User Interface

Post by Woody »

Hi

Thought I'd start a thread on the user interface.

This to me is very important, particularly as i get older, sumthin about not having the time and brain power anymore.

From what I've seen the Solaris, it draws from one of my favorite synth interfaces, the Xpander.

Having multiple screens with associated knobs/buttons is fantastic for accessing lots of parameters fast.

So being able to access completely different parameter sets from the different screens, would be better than the Obie with only 1 set, which is how it appears?

And so when you saved a sound, those parameter pages, your choice, would appear when you reselected it? (like the nord g2)

Looks good

Cheers
Synthlife
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Woody,

The way it's set up, there's very little paging for some of the displays, however I suppose we could make it to have the option of remembering the position of the cursors and pages with each preset. Maybe in a Global setting, for example, because there are also other issues where I want to have the top page selectors (such as picking Osc 1, 2, 3 or 4) force the cursor and page to the 'top level', for ease of use (especially for a blind user), which would conflict with the settings as stored in a preset.

regards,
john b.
stardust

Post by stardust »

In Andromeda the high resolution center display is always linked to the controller (knob, slider) you touched

i.e when you slightly move the attack knob of an ADSR the center display automatically shows a graphical representation of the entire envelope including the time and slope etc.

similar for LFOs, OScs, Filter etc.

I dont know yet about the capabilities of solaris' center display, but I would consider this feature very useful.

It also can be locked to a subsystem (e.g. the LFO) in order to prevent the automatic linking.-> a continous view on the particular subsystem until unlocked again.

cheers stardust
wolf

Post by wolf »

John Bowen wrote:especially for a blind user
Stevie ?
:mrgreen:
nachtsmeer

Post by nachtsmeer »

I just joined up and look forward to seeing and hearing more in good time.

Woody touches on the Xpander :wink:

I know it's still early days with work to be completed, so my question to John,,,

Are there any plans to build a keyboardless expander ? Maybe that could be a way to increase polyphony for those with more than 10 digits :lol:

This is the way that others have gone to increase it.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Paul,

No plans to make a keyboardless expander at this time, sorry.
There is room, however, for an expansion board inside... :wink:

regards,
john b.
nachtsmeer

Post by nachtsmeer »

Not to worry about the expander, I was just thinking way, way ahead :)

If the hardware one sounds as good as the plug-in (and why shouldn't it), then it should do well.

I had a good look at the piccies. It looks easy to find your way around which should increase its appeal to synthi newbies too.
Woody

Post by Woody »

force the cursor and page to the 'top level',
Yes with that many screens theres way less paging and so alot of the most used parameters would be on top or only a button push away.
So not a big issue.
Though still something I like to have, sorta like when you turn a synth on and it has a setting to return to the sound it was on at turn off rather than A.01
or with the g2 where you have a seq with the sound and want control of that.

Cheers
Synthlife
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

to me i think the software editor is one of the key features.
the yamaha an1x has a terrific software editor. i am hoping for something at this level at least.

cheers
in 1861
we licked the yankees at bull run
www.faxinadu.net
beej

Post by beej »

I know this is a bit premature and it's not really a priority feature, but with all those knobs and displays, this synth would make an awesome control surface for software synths and plugins.

Any plans on supporting something like the Mackie Control modes to call up and handle softsynth/plugin parameters on the displays and knobs?
mitchk1989

Post by mitchk1989 »

... And can we use midi in/out for the solaris over USB?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

beej wrote:I know this is a bit premature and it's not really a priority feature, but with all those knobs and displays, this synth would make an awesome control surface for software synths and plugins.

Any plans on supporting something like the Mackie Control modes to call up and handle softsynth/plugin parameters on the displays and knobs?
There's a lot of great ideas being posted, but I also have to keep in mind the fact that I'd like to ship it this year! :-)

Thanks for the input, though....all very interesting!

john b.
beej

Post by beej »

John Bowen wrote:There's a lot of great ideas being posted, but I also have to keep in mind the fact that I'd like to ship it this year! :-)
And always assuming that anyone would even still *want* to use any softsynths when your baby is in front of them, but... ;)
B787

Post by B787 »

Hi guys,question to John, will you be using standard threaded knobs, or a more grip(rubberized-engromic) friendly type of knob ? also i noticed on your Messe 07' models that the 5 screens were somewhat brighter than the main screen, or is it your contrast setting ? Also, will you be using lifetime LED's on the UI ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Currently we have the rubberized grip type knobs. We may still find a better knob, so we will search a little bit more, but we have to commit to a choice soon.

The 5 screens are 2 x 40 text displays; the larger screen is a graphic display. The color differences between the two types are noticeable, as you say, but we have been looking into what can be done to minimize the difference. Changing the LEDs is the main thing that affect this, I think, and I'll have to ask about the lifetime LEDs.

-john b.