SOLARIS EXPANDER / EXPANSION - WISH :)

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
HUROLURA

Re: SOLARIS EXPANDER / EXPANSION - WISH :)

Post by HUROLURA »

Yes !!! Then I could check what would be possible... :mrgreen:
CheerZ
tomoe97

Post by tomoe97 »

Has any more thought been given to the feasibility of a rack version of Solaris? If the Solaris keyboard were reduced to a rack mount similar in size and implementation to DSI's Prophet-12 rack, I would buy it in a heartbeat. As impressive as the Solaris keyboard is, I simply don't have the space for it.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

The only thought we have given is we think we won't do a rack version now. There's no one available to work on the project at the moment...
k-Tracker

Post by k-Tracker »

I see two ways of developing expander/rack version if it ever happens. One is in the re-architecture of the instrument, developing new control surface optimized for the size, exactly as John mentioned. This, of course, costs another efforts and budget. Or there is another option - I'll call it "Clavia's way" :) Like they did with Nord Lead series. NL shares all common parts including control panel between Nord Lead keyboard and Nord Rack. You may easily convert rack to keyboard and back by just connecting the keyboard. Suppose similar story with Prophet 08/12 instruments. It makes common BOM possible. I'm not justifying the needs of rack version, for me personally, the priority is bellow than zero.
But if Solaris keyboard version is a real issue for tomoe97, why not to develop the cabinet on his own or ordering that developing at third party? Metallic parts only. Everything rest re-use from existing instrument. Just as idea...
I had similar feelings in the past,- the product is great, but not comfortable to use for me :) About 10 years ago I was upset with Korg Oasis keyboard at launch, I expected to see it similar to my Oasis PCI, which I couldn't use anymore due to legacy OS requirements. I could not afford Oasis PCI anymore either as separate noisy PC in the room. I finally came into the idea of fanless Oasis PCI rack design. The system is controlled remotely over LAN (including MIDI) and acts as remote PC without monitor and controls connected. Only audio out P) System boots from CF card to minimize the noise and fans starts spinning only if temperature threshold reached. That was my approach to keep Oasis PCI in the environment even there is no room for it...
See here:
DSC06322.JPG
DSC06333.JPG
Andrei Kudryavtsev,
http://www.deftaudio.ru
dawman

Post by dawman »

That looks great. I built similar 4U designs using Scope DSP cards for Solaris plug ins.
Now I use the XITE-1 and a 1U with the ribbon extender and riser card like you use above.
Would love to see a half length Full Height PCI-e card for Solaris, it's a great idea.

Fuckin' A...............
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

dawman wrote:...Would love to see a half length Full Height PCI-e card for Solaris, it's a great idea.
Ain't going to happen, Mr. V.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Still a nice dream to wake up to.
Use to wake up thinking I just told Ann Hathaway I'm breaking up with her, now I wake up with sounds in my head to go capture and I have the finest tools to use thanks to yuze guys.

Ankyu.....
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

That's Anne Hathaway. You know, Mrs. William Shakespeare. :wink: