Solaris won't stay in tune

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

cornutt

Solaris won't stay in tune

Post by cornutt »

Good day, and my apologies in advance if this is a topic that has been covered previously -- I didn't find anything with a forum search. I have an early-production Solaris, and I'm getting back into playing after not having done much over the past year and a half, but this is a problem I had noticed before my hiatus. Occasionally the tuning of my Solaris shifts. Sometimes when I power the synth up, it's about 35 cents sharp compared to my V-synth (which I'm pretty sure is staying in tune, since I never notice discrepancies between it and my other digital synths). Other times, it will play in tune at power up, but then when I play some MIDI back through it from my DAW, it goes flat, nearly a half step. The one obvious thing, the pitch wheel, doesn't seem to be glitchy or unstable; it operates perfectly smoothly.

Any ideas? I've had a few other issues with patch storage and I'm beginning to wonder about the integrity of the memory card. I think I'm going to get another one and copy the factory one to it.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Solaris won't stay in tune

Post by John Bowen »

What version of the OS do you have installed?
christeck

Post by christeck »

I never noticed this on my machine. To eliminate one possible source of issues, I'd try to disconnect any MIDI and USB cables during startup and check whether that helps to improve the situation. In case it does, I'd check what MIDI messages are being sent via the cables.
doctor

Post by doctor »

My Solaris is out of tune how do I fix this?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Make sure the Tuning in the System page is at zero.
If that is correct, then possibly an analog control somehow got reset?
You can find the Selftest Menu by pressing 1-3-8 together. From there you can find a calibration for the wheels, ribbon, and joystick (all of which could be offsetting pitch). Under Analog Control.
bennethos

Post by bennethos »

In my opinion this is mostly because of the modwheel having issues or not being calibrated properly. I have had this problem on many other synths, latest being the Take 5
Owner of Solaris #00324