OS updates, bugfixes & feats

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
bennethos

OS updates, bugfixes & feats

Post by bennethos »

Hi all,

I have closely followed John Bowen and the creation of this masterpiece, being a bit on the defensive side I wanted to wait a year or 2 before buying one for a couple of reasons.

Have there been any OS updates, bug fixes (low polyphony issues), new feats thanks to OS upgrades since it's release ?

Sound on Sound described (in 2012 ) Mr Bowen was thinking about implementing the following :
analogue feel, voice cycling, new effects

Have the above or any other been implemented yet ?

Tried to find release notes on the website concerning os updates but couldn't find it, could someone point me to it if I missed it somewhere ?

In no way am I trying to be negative about this synth, but I do think it is important that a prototype such as this synth gets the necessary code updates and addons people would like to see before buying.

thank you
Owner of Solaris #00324
koenig

Re: OS updates, bugfixes & feats

Post by koenig »

It is a bit rough to describe the Solaris as "a prototype"; that stage would have been while it was being developed on the Scope platform.
bennethos

Post by bennethos »

Bad choice of words on my behalf, my mindset is still stuck in early stages I guess, sorry about that.

Can I deduce from your answer that bugs and additional features have been addressed since the prototype stage ?

Just looking for answers before making the investment.

thank you
Owner of Solaris #00324
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I can tell you that there have been a number of bug fixes since the v1.0.0 software in our first release (not ‘prototype’ code). Current beta code is v1.2.9, but this is not in general release yet, as there still are a few minor things we are adjusting. Even so, a more major release we expect in about 3 months.

No additional features as of yet - what did you have in mind? Multi timbre is the main one people ask for, and this looks like it will still be some months off.

John Bowen
bennethos

Post by bennethos »

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question Mr Bowen. I can see that there is support and development being done. The answer I was looking for.

You can expect an order from me in the near future ! :-)
Owner of Solaris #00324
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

Wow :shock:

I really want my hands on V1.2.9 ....can I BETA test?!

like, the way I see it, I run into the same bugs that are in the currently loaded OS, a lot...

Won't be any less annoying than hitting new bugs :)

John, am I worthy ?!

(how exciting!)
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

Hi John,

Just reporting a strange Sustain Pedal anomaly with 1.2.9:

LocalOff = On
SusPed1 = Sustain
Pol. = +

While depressing my external pedal in quick successions, the Hold LED flickers really quickly, and Hold is stuck ON.

I tried this with the Pol. = -, and a similar response, the Hold LED flickers multiple times really quickly and gets stuck On.

If i have to theorize this, when I am working with my MIDI sequencer, it's receiving the Sustain ON / OFF messages quite a few times each - like it's getting feedback or bypassing the LocalOff. I also tried playing in LocalON with the pedal alone and it still trips the HOLD state and hangs.

Let me know if you need any details,

UPDATE: tried this with a different sustain pedal (Yamaha) and not as many 'sticky' notes was generated by pressing down on the pedal, but still the Hold got stuck.

Thanks

Damian
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, Damian, there is some problem with the Sustain pedal still in v1.2.9. It is being looked at.

-John B.
pfrancq

Post by pfrancq »

I found a little bug in the current OS installed on my Solaris (1.2.1): When storing a patch, it is impossible to choose a bank number above 1O.
Pascal Francq
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

pfrancq wrote:I found a little bug in the current OS installed on my Solaris (1.2.1): When storing a patch, it is impossible to choose a bank number above 1O.
This is because there is no Bank folder greater than 10 on your CF card. This you will have to create by loading your CF card in your computer (meaning you must have a CF card reader, of course!). Then you can look at the folder called Presets. Inside there, you should see folders named Bank0, Bank1, Bank2, etc.. And inside of THOSE folders are the actual Preset folders, (named Patch, however!).

To create additional ‘legal’ Banks, they must be numbered in numerical order. In the v4.0 Factory Presets, there are 10 banks, Bank0 through Bank9, therefore, the next Bank created must be named Bank10, and so on. Each Bank folder must have a Patch folder inside.

Probably in the future, I should just create the empty folders for Bank10-Bank127, and make it a part of the factory set.

Thanks for bringing this up!

John B.

p.s. I just tested this out, and it works, but in viewing the CF card back in the computer, I see that the new preset I created was put into the Bank folder, and not the Patch folder. This affects mostly the FX setup, but it’s best to go back in once you’ve created your edits, and drag all of them into the Patch folder. (And something I will add to the bug list!)
pfrancq

Post by pfrancq »

I have manually create a 'Bank11' and 'Patch' directories, and Solaris has created my new patch in the right directory ('Patch11/Patch').
Pascal Francq