Could this be done?

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Neutron

Could this be done?

Post by Neutron »

This is highly unlikely, but i was wondering if, if multitimbral is ever done, could there be a "1 voice many channels" mode.
that is only 1 voice is selected, but each MIDI channel has its own separate note, pitch bend and other controllers. This is purely for selfish reasons, because i have a continuum, and that's what is needed for it to work with a synth. regular multitimbral synths can be used, but quite annoyingly you need to set up a program with each voice the same (and if you edit, then you have to load the whole thing up again) and most importantly, they are not a Sloaris :mrgreen:

this mode would also be nice for people with axon, or other guitar-midi type things (one channel per string, when you bend one you dont bend them all)

best regards
Neutron
Jim Matheson
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Could this be done?

Post by John Bowen »

This sounds just like MIDI Mode 4, which we had on the Prophet T8 way back when.
I’ll look into it....

john b.
sjones

Post by sjones »

The SixTrak did that too, right?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, all of the ‘track’ family - SixTrak, Max, & MultiTrak.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

it would be cool to do that, right now i am having variable luck making anything work besides my modular, but i dont have even 2 identical oscillators or filters so i have to kind of fake it. i had a bit of luck with the virus TI, but i have to make a whole program with the same voice, once i edit the voice, i have to re-do the whole thing..pain. i think i can do a scope synth for it though.
cornutt

Post by cornutt »

The Oberheim Matrix-1000 did that too. They called it "guitar mode"; I guess it was intended to interface with a guitar synth.
jabs

Post by jabs »

Neutron wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:42 pm it would be cool to do that, right now i am having variable luck making anything work besides my modular, but i dont have even 2 identical oscillators or filters so i have to kind of fake it. i had a bit of luck with the virus TI, but i have to make a whole program with the same voice, once i edit the voice, i have to re-do the whole thing..pain. i think i can do a scope synth for it though.
Hello Neutron,

I'm in the same Continuum boat now, only 5.5 years later! Currently assessing which multitimbral instruments work best with the Continuum. Haven't tried anything with the Solaris yet, for which multitimbrality has yet to be realized...
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

We are looking at the new MPE extension to the MIDI spec which basically describes a Mode 4 type function.

http://expressiveness.org/2015/04/24/mi ... ession-mpe
jreineke

Post by jreineke »

cornutt wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:19 pm The Oberheim Matrix-1000 did that too. They called it "guitar mode"; I guess it was intended to interface with a guitar synth.
The Matrix 6R calls it MIDI Mono mode instead of Guitar Mode.
niversen

Post by niversen »

Here's another vote for MPE support - I have a ROLI Seaboard.
amongstmyselves

Post by amongstmyselves »

I'd like a simpler feature of each of the four parts being able to be a assigned a separate midi channel.