would you be interested in SOLARIS editor ?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

NoahK

Re: would you be interested in SOLARIS editor ?

Post by NoahK »

scope4live wrote:Awesome.
Hi! Is there any update on the availability of such a program?
discocubist

Post by discocubist »

Bump for this!
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

Since you bumped....I’m still continuing to work on this editor hoping the Solaris’s MIDI implementation gets finished. I thought about making it better looking with maybe a more traditional, modular look. Though Solaris has a lot of parameters and connections so it’s hard to fit. Be glad to discuss it somewhere.
Solaris #249
Toby Emerson

Post by Toby Emerson »

minorguy wrote:Since you bumped....I’m still continuing to work on this editor hoping the Solaris’s MIDI implementation gets finished. I thought about making it better looking with maybe a more traditional, modular look. Though Solaris has a lot of parameters and connections so it’s hard to fit. Be glad to discuss it somewhere.
Very cool app - thanks for taking the time to write that. My dream would be to one day have a VST app like that which would also allow patch switching and real time editing of parameters.
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

Toby Emerson wrote:Very cool app - thanks for taking the time to write that. My dream would be to one day have a VST app like that which would also allow patch switching and real time editing of parameters.
Not sure what you mean by real time editing. It already does follow changes that you make on the Solaris. But maybe you mean real time editing from within a DAW, not sure. I just added branching undo (inspired by Nonlinear Labs C15) and bookmarks and next I was going to work on moving the parameter controls from the panel on the right to being directly on the module. I’ve also thought about converting it to a VST as well and maybe I’ll look at that next instead. I imagine most people who want an editor as a VST also want it to work standalone so you don’t always need a host to use it.
Solaris #249
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

It do not work with wine on Linux ... hope it can work in the futur ;)
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

chapolin wrote:It do not work with wine on Linux ... hope it can work in the futur ;)
Since it's based on the JUCE cross-platform library I assume it should be possible for someone to build it to run directly on Linux. But I'm not set up with Linux at the moment.
Solaris #249
Toby Emerson

Post by Toby Emerson »

minorguy wrote:
Toby Emerson wrote:Very cool app - thanks for taking the time to write that. My dream would be to one day have a VST app like that which would also allow patch switching and real time editing of parameters.
Not sure what you mean by real time editing. It already does follow changes that you make on the Solaris. But maybe you mean real time editing from within a DAW, not sure. I just added branching undo (inspired by Nonlinear Labs C15) and bookmarks and next I was going to work on moving the parameter controls from the panel on the right to being directly on the module. I’ve also thought about converting it to a VST as well and maybe I’ll look at that next instead. I imagine most people who want an editor as a VST also want it to work standalone so you don’t always need a host to use it.
Yes I was more referring to real time control within a DAW similar to the way the Novation MiniNova Vst editor or Virus TI control plugin allows you to edit parameters from within the editor
Hook

Post by Hook »

bump -- any more info on this?
Benoist Guitton

Post by Benoist Guitton »

Would be really interested for faster preset analysis !
But before an editor, in the meantime I would be extremely pleased with a VIEWER : you can't click to change but you visualize tweaks :D
Of course for arp / sequences / presets and banks handling an edition part would be welcome later

Some suggestions :
Maximum use of screen estate 720p or fullHD
Less paging as possible so maximum of infos displayed
Reproducing the layout of the Solaris but not make a Solaris GUI, we already have the real stuff !! :mrgreen:
Not found of virtual cables ! I suggest that when you change a parameter it turns red and every place where this component is "meaningful" ( see below ) turns orange or whatever : i.e you modify something in LFO1, everyplace where LFO1 modulates something that in the end will help produce sound turns orange, important because there are tweaks without outputs : deadends
Components that fall in deadends are dimmed so that you are not filled with unuseful informations, LFO 2,3,4 don't need to be displayed normally if they aren't doing something that will be audible in the end !
When you choose the Mod list 1 all the choices are visible
GUI I like ( ZEEEDIT 2 for FS1R )
pfrancq

Post by pfrancq »

Did anyone manage to compile the program on Mac OS X?
Pascal Francq
Hook

Post by Hook »

does Solaris really need that many bits to represent time or is it doing a non-linear mapping? I had always assumed the latter since you can't specific 19.995ms from the front panel (that I could see).
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

pfrancq wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:12 am Did anyone manage to compile the program on Mac OS X?
Which program?
Solaris #249
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

Hook wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:31 am does Solaris really need that many bits to represent time or is it doing a non-linear mapping? I had always assumed the latter since you can't specific 19.995ms from the front panel (that I could see).
Perhaps it could have been non-linear in some way. But it wasn't from the beginning.
Solaris #249
pfrancq

Post by pfrancq »

minorguy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:03 am
pfrancq wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:12 am Did anyone manage to compile the program on Mac OS X?
Which program?
The editor Solarium of Jim Hewes. I downloaded the source code, open it with Projucer (JUCE IDE) and try to compile it, but I had compilation errors :
1. The predefined variable INVALID_VERSION is not defined (EditHistory.cpp, 351).
2. An "util" class or namespace is not recognized (EditHistory.cpp, 521).
Pascal Francq