other Solaris hardware ideas

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Octupole

Re: other Solaris hardware ideas

Post by Octupole »

From what is known so far, the Waldorf Quantum looks indeed like a killer Synth - just like the Solaris already is. I never felt G.A.S. as much since the appeareance of the Solaris. This will definitely be my next Synth (and my 5th Waldorf). Can't wait to stack it right on top of my Solaris - it will be a perfect complement.
Noiseg33k

Post by Noiseg33k »

Just wanted to chime in. I'm a millenial, and awaiting my solaris. I wouldn't want to have anything to do with mini keys. That is in fact the main reason I am turned off by new korg products.

Side note: Rackmount solaris voice expander would interest me the most.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Noiseg33k wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 pm Just wanted to chime in. I'm a millenial, and awaiting my solaris. I wouldn't want to have anything to do with mini keys. That is in fact the main reason I am turned off by new korg products.
Agreed!

Noiseg33k wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 pm Side note: Rackmount solaris voice expander would interest me the most.
This seems to be the first option we will explore.
bennethos

Post by bennethos »

Rackmount solaris voice expander if we get multimode indeed

I would appreciate a massive sounding ring-modulator !
Last edited by bennethos on Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owner of Solaris #00324
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

bennethos wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:30 pm ...I would appreciate a massive sounding ring-modulator !
There are 2 ring modulators in the Solaris. You have to use the AM1 or AM2 sections and select the Ring Mod algorithm.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

OK, people - those of you seriously interested in the 1u simple rack Solaris (as described as Option 2), please send a deposit of 500 Euros/$600 to sales@johnbowen.com via PayPal. If you do not have a PayPal account, please contact me at info@johnbowen.com and I’ll provide a German bank account for the transfer.

This way we will be able to judge how many are definitely interested. If we don’t see at least 50 deposits, I will refund everything within 30 days.
Octupole

Post by Octupole »

Great! :D Just sent you my deposit for two units. Hope this project will fly!
inaheartbeat

Post by inaheartbeat »

John I would not assume that there are a lot of people regularly reading this forum. If you want to really gauge interest I would do a post on GS or Muffwiggler as well as sending an email out to all existing Solaris users. I am very interested in a Solaris expansion bit strained for cash right now as I pre-ordered a Quantum.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, I know - although I'm not a big believer in the Gearslutz audience as being those who are interested in high-end instruments. I'm not familiar with Muffwiggler, so I’ll have a look there.

I did send out an email a little while ago to all of the Solaris owners I have in my database, but it’s only those who purchased directly from me. About half of the units sold were through dealers/distributors, plus any units purchased second-hand, so I need to reach out in other forums, as you say.
david

Post by david »

John Bowen wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:43 am Yes, I know - although I'm not a big believer in the Gearslutz audience as being those who are interested in high-end instruments. I'm not familiar with Muffwiggler, so I’ll have a look there.

I did send out an email a little while ago to all of the Solaris owners I have in my database, but it’s only those who purchased directly from me. About half of the units sold were through dealers/distributors, plus any units purchased second-hand, so I need to reach out in other forums, as you say.
Facebook page might be a good place to post
Toby Emerson

Post by Toby Emerson »

Put in my deposit for 1U rack unit w/software editor.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I saw it - thanks, Toby!
Hein Eken

Post by Hein Eken »

John Bowen wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 pm OK, people - those of you seriously interested in the 1u simple rack Solaris (as described as Option 2), please send a deposit of 500 Euros/$600 to sales@johnbowen.com via PayPal. If you do not have a PayPal account, please contact me at info@johnbowen.com and I’ll provide a German bank account for the transfer.

This way we will be able to judge how many are definitely interested. If we don’t see at least 50 deposits, I will refund everything within 30 days.
I´ve read in the other thread S|C will manufacture and sell the unit.
That´s great !
May I ask who will do the software editor ?
And,- is there a chance we´ll see a device for the SCOPE environment as the "software editor", so we can use the unit being connected to S|C XITE via MIDI and analog/digital audio ?

:)

Hein
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

For the 1U rack version, only trick I see is to get the power switch back to front.

I would see 3 main use for the 1U Rack:
- Solaris expander to get extra voices or workaround to have a kind of Multitimbral mode by stacking such units for those who have the Solaris keyboard (limited user base to the actual Solaris owner). Or to have a compact solution for Gig while leaving the keyboard in the Studio.
- Solaris preset box for the majority of people who like the sound but are maybe intimidated by the front panel (and are just using presets on their synth to make music rather than spending hours on sound design tweaks). Here you buy the Solaris sound not the fancy sound design UI.
- intermediate more affordable solution for people having no space for the keyboard version but interested in the sound but would require a solution to allow remote sound design (i.e. editor, either hardware/Solaris Kbd or software)

Adding a limited UI (beside on/off switch) on the front panel to add limited features (volume pot, small display to have the preset name, a few key to navigate inside the preset list).
CheerZ
jazzbo58

Post by jazzbo58 »

Option #3 peaks my interest. My studio is very crowded, but a rack style expander would be nice.