Question about Samples and Noise

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

pfrancq

Question about Samples and Noise

Post by pfrancq »

Hi,
I have to questions:
1. Each time I launch the Solaris, it loads the "Glockenspiel" as default samples pool. If I select a patch that uses another samples pool, it is not loaded and I have to do it manually each time. Should the Solaris not load the correct sample pools when necessary?
2. You can select noise (pink or white) as modulation sources. Are these noises per voice or are they global?
I am using the latest OS.
Thanks.
Pascal Francq
minorguy

Re: Question about Samples and Noise

Post by minorguy »

1.) The Solaris is not supposed to load any samples as a result of loading a preset. The reason it loads samples when you first boot up is because you must have the LoadSamp parameter set to On in the System Page 1. This causes a sample pool to automatically load but only when you first boot up.
I don’t remember---I’d have to check---but I assume it was decided that it’s the first sample pool that would be the one loaded. That’s what the user guide says as well. But I guess it would be nice if it automatically loaded whatever pool you have the SampImg parameter set to. So I don’t suppose it’s technically a bug that it always loads Glockenspiel.

2.) I can’t answer this one for sure since it depends on how the DSP code is implemented. But maybe you can elaborate a little more.
I imagine the concern is that all voices are getting the same value when you want them to get different, random values. But first, I would expect it can’t be global because voices are produced by different DSP chips. And notes of a chord never start at exactly the same time. So they are not synchronized that closely. But what about when the speed is very slow? What if you used oscillator MM1 as a noise source and turned the frequency down low? I tried that but the frequency of noise in the oscillator cannot be changed. What about S/H? That can be changed, but it seems to me that S/H coming from the oscillators is not global. (Turn it down slow and use it to modulate pitch of a chord and you can see.)
Anyway, since noise is always a high frequency, would it make a noticeable difference?
Maybe someone else can answer this one better than me.
Solaris #249
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

pfrancq wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:30 am Hi,
I have to questions:
1. Each time I launch the Solaris, it loads the "Glockenspiel" as default samples pool. If I select a patch that uses another samples pool, it is not loaded and I have to do it manually each time. Should the Solaris not load the correct sample pools when necessary?
2. You can select noise (pink or white) as modulation sources. Are these noises per voice or are they global?
I am using the latest OS.
Thanks.
I decided in the original code development NOT to load samples every time a new preset needed them, because of the long load time it would cause. More recently, Jim added the function to load the SamplePool by User choice, and yes, it’s the first pool in the list.
If we did it per preset, and a preset used up very long samples that filled the 32 MB, it could take several minutes to load a preset. We could probably change it to load samples per preset, as long as everyone is aware that it can take a lot longer to load certain presets.
pfrancq

Post by pfrancq »

Thanks for both replies.
Concerning the samples pool issue, it could be a preset option to automatically load the corresponding sample pools (at least if it's not the current loaded one). It could also be possible to load at startup the last samples pool used.
Pascal Francq
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

As for the noise - I think of it as ‘global’, although as Jim pointed out, each DSP chip has its own code loaded.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

By the way - you can now have the Solaris automatically load the required samples for a Preset by turning ON the System parameter labeled LoadSamp (and then saving the System file to the CF card using the Save parameter on the same System page, upper right knob - press Enter).