This week's latest OS

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

This week's latest OS

Post by John Bowen »

As some of you may know, I get a weekly update of the OS (Operating System) as the coders in Germany get down to the final stages, which is mostly debugging now. However, today I got a nice surprise - something I had put on the list for 'if & when you can get to it'....the remaining Oberheim Filter Modes. (Up until now, there's only been the Lowpass mode for this filter.) I was quite delighted to see and hear the recognizable Highpass, Bandpass, and Band Reject (Notch) of this 12 dB filter. This should be the last really new filter object we get before release....although there's been a few interested in a CS-80 filter emulation, at this point I think it's more important to have the release OS candidate ready for production soon, and leave such things as more filter emulations for later.

Cheers,
John B.
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

That is just the icing on the cake for me! I literally have owned and sold just about every Oberheim synth that they made. It is by far my favorite synth manufacturer and has yet to be faithfully recreated.. This news is just blowing my mind right now :shock: 8)

Thank you John!
lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater »

Amazing! This was something I was really hoping for down the road. I love the SEM bandpass so much, and have used it (well the studio electronics clone anyway) in a bunch of patches over the last few years. So glad it will be available - along with all the other modes - right from the start.
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

Nice!

BTW, I just noticed you could even get a SEM again? I've not been paying attention. Check it out:

http://www.audiomidi.com/Synthesizer-Ex ... 12455.aspx

http://www.tomoberheim.com/
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

ScofieldKid wrote:
BTW, I just noticed you could even get a SEM again?
Where have you been? :lol: They're even turning up on ebay already. :roll:
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

That's wonderful news John, thanks for the extra icing on the cake. :D
3rdConstruction

Post by 3rdConstruction »

That's a great surprise! For me, the notch is my favourite, so I can set it as a low pass but with a hint of high end sizzle. I'm really really interested in hearing how Solaris' version will sound.

I definitely agree with John's statement about finishing up OS 1.0 & leaving further filter development for later on. Solaris needs to be solid for release, & there are going to be way more options on that synth than I will know what to do with. I'm betting Solaris will keep us so very busy we will not be sitting around wishing there were more filter options.
... speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

But I am really disappointed that John has decided to put off the drum kit and looper.
How are we suppose to play a synth without something to do beats with..?
I was really hoping I could push buttons and then pretend I was performing like everyone else does.
Oh well, I will have to learn what an Oscillator is and what a filter does afterall.
I suppose I can use the multitracker in Scope called VDAT to play recordings of others while I throw my hair to and fro.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Reminds me of the time I saw a guy playing a Pro 1 at a club in Santa Monica years ago - he was using the arpeggiator to play the notes as he wildly moved his hand back and forth, and if you were on the dance floor, it looked as if he were actually playing rapidly with perfect timing and triggering....and he did have quite the hair to toss 'to and fro'!

At least he was playing with a live band, though.... :)
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I have been a Ham for decades.
After my first Piano recital I was only 5 years old. All the other kids were led off stage like litlle sheep after bowing. But I was into the 3 Stooges and Rascals big time, so I shook clasped hands over both shoulders and then jumped off of the front of the stage and sat down next to my GrandPa...
Back then my Brain was a seuqencer, nowdays I am lazy.
I actually have life size cut outs made for stage that I can set up, and the footswitch has an extension cable that leads to the Bar where I sit and flirt with the Waittail Cocktresses.
It's part of the show. I can chug frozen shots of Jager and line up trim for afterwards.
Why play when you can program........ :idea:
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole