New SOLARIS walk-through videos (updated!)

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Neotrope

New SOLARIS walk-through videos (updated!)

Post by Neotrope »

First in the series, of quick (well, 20 minutes each), walk throughs of the SOLARIS sounds.
Not rehearsed, or scripted, just messed with. Many sounds my first time hearing them. I also intentionally tried not to play any of my own compositions too much to avoid copyright issues; so stuck in the same key most of the time, but hey, there you go.
http://musicindustrynewswire.com/2012/0 ... 175032.php
Last edited by Neotrope on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
Neotrope

Re: New SOLARIS bank one walk-through video

Post by Neotrope »

correction to the video: I mistakenly state in video that you need to hit the apply/enter button when using up/down button, and I had gotten that impression by using the dial to scroll through stuff.... didn't RTFM on that. My bad.

Correction from JB:
"Presets are automatically selected when you use the Inc/Dec buttons - you don't need to press Enter for those! Only if you use the dial or keypad to select do you need to press Enter."

(my DOH!). ;-)

Additional video to follow of banks 2+3. Might do direct audio on these since nobody cares about my narration, probably.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
Toby Emerson

Post by Toby Emerson »

thanks for posting - definitely looking forward to the next video. I did enjoy the narration although I would love to hear a direct recording for the next video.
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

HI, folks,
give my videos for the Solaris a 'thumbs up' if you can; stupid trolls who hate either the Solaris, JB, or the fact I didn't record direct audio on first video (sheesh people, what do you want for free?) have been giving the first one a thumbs down (WHY?)
... anyway ... video 2 has direct audio, and perhaps not much actual 'playing' or changing patch settings, just trying to run through buch of sounds as quick as possible from banks 2,3 (er, 1, 2; since bank 1 is actually bank '0').

I think it speaks well of the Solaris, how good it DOES sound on the first video; put on some headphones or crank through your home theatre system on your HTPC, and it sounds pretty damn good off the DSLR mic! But, the second video, of course, sounds much better.

Anyway.. please be kind, I only had couple of hours to do the videos, and I'd never actually used the SOLARIS.
SO, the two videos are what they are: and here is #2:
http://youtu.be/-oMmQtMNsu8

Don't expect much from my playing on this ... just whacking some keys to get through the sounds ASAP. 20 min. limit on my Nikon.

I don't think I'll have time to do a #3. But, hopefully somebody else will take up the charge and post something also. :-)

I said I'd do this, so there they be.

Neotrope

Re: New SOLARIS bank one walk-through video (updated #2)

Post by Neotrope »

UPDATED:
And here is video #2 - with direct audio from the Solaris' outputs - not auditioning for a talent show here, just whackin' some keys to get through sound banks as quick as possible due to 20 min. limit on video with my Nikon DSLR:
(NOTE: UPDATED 7.17.12 3pm PDT to reduce the hum/noise introduced by the Nikon which was only thing in studio not properly grounded... "doh!")

http://youtu.be/DqacA1XGNRA

Toby Emerson

Re: New SOLARIS walk-through videos (updated!)

Post by Toby Emerson »

thanks for the taking the time to record all this!
Neotrope

Re: New SOLARIS walk-through videos (updated!)

Post by Neotrope »

My pleasure... I know they're not perfect, but was either these or nothing before boxing it up to ship to new owner.

I had posted somewhere I would post some videos - so this was me living up to that. Unfortunately, i had also planned to do a bank of my own sounds, but obviously that not going to happen.

Wish I could have kept it. But, my house buying fund is going up ... so have to focus on THAT. As my pals keep telling me, I can always buy stuff again once I get settled in new home and have the extra moola in couple of years ... so.... must ... focus... on ... home... project ...!!

Waldorf Q+ and Jomox SunSyn next on sales block (waaaaah!).

The SOLARIS is one really amazing keyboard. The power of the sound, the clarity, and the high notes don't sound all distorted. And for those who don't get it, some of the sounds DO sound highly digital as they are using the wavetables and not the pure analog modeled oscillators. When you start using the analog oscillators and filters, this thing really sings. Reminded my of the first day I played my Prophet 600 in the 80s, and ran it through a Roland chorus pedal and just want "...ahhhh......." .... this thing nails that.

For those still waiting -- it's worth the wait!!