Key tables ? I am baffled

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
amongstmyselves

Key tables ? I am baffled

Post by amongstmyselves »

Howdy all,

Recently our group has been interested in microtonal music and I was wondering if the Solaris was able to accommodate such ideas. The microtonal we were thinking about using was a straight forward octave made of more than 12 tones, evenly spaces. Not sure how that could be played to be honest, the limitations of the piano keyboard. But from what I have read this is not possible with the Solaris using the Key tables.

I was wondering though if the Solaris could alter the pitch of individual notes ie: make all the E flats a quarter note lower.

I continue to wonder as I don't quite understand the control of the Key tabs ? Is there a more detailed demo of these interesting modulators some where ? Patches maybe ?

Cheers,

Steve.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Key tables ? I am baffled

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Steve,

It’s pretty difficult to make a precise Key Table to do what you want - what we really need to do is add some proper key mapping on a per key basis, and/or add the ability to use tuning tables (such as Scala format). I know Robert Rich has been after me to get this done for years, but the problem has been we didn’t have someone to work on the DSP side of the code, which is where these tables would reside. Fortunately, as of last month I have someone now who is proceeding with DSP code work, so microtunings or alternate scales is something I can add to the list of things for him to look into.
amongstmyselves

Re: Key tables ? I am baffled

Post by amongstmyselves »

Thanks for the reply John. That answers the question for me.

Steve.