Solaris preset management

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Pip

Solaris preset management

Post by Pip »

Solaris - preset management
So finally getting some quality time with my new baby-she sounds fantastic but a lot of rtfm! Not one of my strengths and I need some help from you more experienced users.
Firstly I find the preset search function mystifying, I have read the section 10 times or more this morning - I want pads, select pads and and start scrolling - nope that doesn’t work? Or is or me.
Secondly - there are so many fantastic presets how best to organise my favourites as there is no favourites option, I’m thinking of creating my own new bank and saving my favourites there and my own creations - what do you guys do?
Also I think I read you can save as many presets as you like in a bank, the 128 restriction is for midi recall only! So I could just fill my own newly created bank with as many as I like?
Sd card can I remove it when the synth is powered up to create a new bank I assume I can?
Sorry for being a numpty and thanks.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Solaris preset management

Post by John Bowen »

You can create as many presets as you want in a bank, but the Solaris will only read 0-127, so, I would say just make another bank.

It’s true there’s not a Favorites function. We did increase the labels available for the category search, and there’s also User 1-10, so you could use these as a sort of ‘favorites’ choice, but then of course it needs to use one of the categories.

And I have to say - none of the preset makers were required to assign categories to their sounds, so there’s probably only a small number that are currently fully assigned. This might be why you are not getting much out of the search function. You can find lists of all the factory presets on the CF Card in the Documents folder. Plus be careful what logic you are using - And requires both categories to match, Or will be either one.

CF Card - yes, you can remove the CF card while powered up - I do it all the time when I’m moving things in and out to test. Just make sure each new bank is in numerically ascending order, with no missing numbers in between.

-John B.
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

Beginning with version 1.4.2 bank numbers no longer need to be consecutive. You can skip bank numbers. And they don't need to start at zero.
Solaris #249
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

minorguy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:30 am Beginning with version 1.4.2 bank numbers no longer need to be consecutive. You can skip bank numbers. And they don't need to start at zero.
Ah, right! Thanks for the reminder, Jim!