Delay & Chorus...........

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
3rdConstruction

Post by 3rdConstruction »

John Bowen wrote:p.s. I would say if you really love your Virus TI, you should keep it - it has a very strong character to the sound (algorithm design) that I don't hear Solaris doing.
JBowen is a gentleman to a fault. i would say it's solaris that has a very strong character that i never heard in the virus...
... speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Yes Reverb.
I never liked Reverb on a synth.
The rich harmonics from the waveforms just cause the Verb to dwell on excessive high frequency tails and then editing the tails ruins the sound so I never used it.
But I have made so many sounds in Solaris well suited for Reverb that I plan on using a Lexicon PCM91 I still have laying around just for Solaris until the factory update arrives.
I hope you guys look at Warp69's and DAS's D Verb and not the S|C Reverb.
No offence to my Brotha's at S|C but their strengths lie elsewhere.
Well I am sure JB will demo a Synth Pizz before he agrees on the effect, that way we have a fighting chance for getting a good one.....

CiaoMein.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Jimmy,

It's warp69's 'verb that I want to use - he's fine with it, SC is fine with it, we just have to figure out a way to secure each other's code in a way that is satisfactory to each other.
-jb.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Awesome news.
That is a really editable DSP Verb, exactly like my PCM91 with the Chorus/Delay mods too.
These guys are going to be spoiled by that.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
tmoravan

Post by tmoravan »

Am I the only person that hates built-in effects sections on synthesizers?

True, I do have external hardware fx and I don't play out live, but still... I see these effects sections built into synths and wonder whether the horsepower and panel space could have been better used for more synth-type functionality instead. Reverb especially kills me. Compare the dedicated processing used in high-end gear like the old Lexicon 480L or the newer Bricasti M7 and you have to wonder how a synth that's already doing so much under the hood can handle the extra burden of reverb calculations.

Plus it means that I have to turn the effects off of every patch to properly audition the sounds. :(

Just wondering
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

tmoravan wrote:Am I the only person that hates built-in effects sections on synthesizers?
YES!! :lol:

The nice thing about efx included in the synth is you can always turn them off and use your outboard gear, but if you have none included you don't have a choice.

Sometimes, the onboard effects are part of the programmed sound and are responsible for giving a patch an identified sound.
For instance, the Roland D50, part of the charm of it is the effects, it's actually part of the sound. Turn of the effects on the D50 and it's kinda "bleh", also the effects IMO aren't very stellar but combined with the patch they sound great.
I was messing around with Albino 2 and started getting a very D50ish patch but the effects threw it off a bit, it wasn't until I programmed a D50 type of effect it started sounding close.
Same with the Wavestation, part of the great sound it has is from the included effects.

Having onboard effects also allows a small studio or hobbyist with limited outboard gear the ability to use their effects on something else.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

tmoravan wrote:[edit]...Plus it means that I have to turn the effects off of every patch to properly audition the sounds. :(
Don't forget, Solaris has a dedicated button just for this purpose!
-jb
lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater »

John Bowen wrote:
It's warp69's 'verb that I want to use - he's fine with it, SC is fine with it, we just have to figure out a way to secure each other's code in a way that is satisfactory to each other.
-jb.
Awesome news. When the effects feel like an extension of the synth engine, I usually end up using them -- even if they can't compare sonically to a bricasti :wink:
francois

Post by francois »

John Bowen wrote:It's warp69's 'verb that I want to use...
I do hope this comes to fruition. I use his A/I/P-100 effects all the time with Scope. Top notch stuff, not to mention at a great price compared with many other software-based effects.
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

John Bowen wrote:There are also three (3) Insert Effects, which can be pre- or post-filter. These are Decimation, BitChop, and Distortion."
Why not a more detailed Waveshaper? It doesn't have to be restricted to Decimation, Bitchop and Distortion. Just throw a programmable waveshaper like the one in the Korg 01w/fd! It shouldn't be hard to implement, I would love to see some transfer functions in there, it can increase the number of available waveforms exponentially! A user can start with a simple sine from an oscillator pass it through the waveshaper, get all kinds of different waveforms in addition to the ones already there!

Just an idea. :)
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

I say just let John finish the synth so we can get our hands on it :) There will be plenty of time for updates. Plus once we have the Solaris and have had time to get intimate with it, we'll be in a better place to make update suggestions... John will deliver, we all know this :) The more we ask for additions now, the longer we'll have to wait for this amazing synth...

Just my 2 cents ;)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Why not a more detailed Waveshaper? It doesn't have to be restricted to Decimation, Bitchop and Distortion. Just throw a programmable waveshaper like the one in the Korg 01w/fd! It shouldn't be hard to implement, I would love to see some transfer functions in there....
yes, I'd like that as well, however - at this point, it's not a question if it's hard to implement, but rather, how much time/money will it cost me to add the feature? And, as Jaykeel mentioned, eventually I have to stop adding things and get the synth finished!

-JB