Any utility to a Nord Wave? (Already Prepaid a Solaris)

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
rhodeschroma

Any utility to a Nord Wave? (Already Prepaid a Solaris)

Post by rhodeschroma »

I know this is a kind of mid-range versus Ferrari question, but I figured it would be worth throwing it out there given that everyone here is in the same boat with the Solaris, learning more and more as we go, and anxiously awaiting the arrival of a soon-to-be pride of the studio. I can't wait, John!

I'm in the middle of my "once every two years" studio revision. Nothing exciting, for example - replacing an original Motif 88 with a Motif XS 88, a Triton Extreme with a M3/73 coupled with a real radius module (I needed a few decent ROMplers - and I already bought a few nice analogs under the wife's radar in 2008), a couple of new mic pre's and mics, an Apogee interface, etc.

BUT - my question is this (and please bear in mind that I've never used the Solaris plug in, and I know that what I'm asking isn't the primary focus of the Solaris keyboard) -- Is there any utility to purchasing a Nord Wave if I want to take samples and process them in a VA-sort of environment just as if they were traditional oscillators? Will the Solaris keyboard be able to perform this function (or act similarly) reasonably well?

Any opinions on whether the Nord Wave would provide any utility to me, or just be a waste of $1.7k USD that I could use to purchase a few Euphonix control surfaces or a different cool sounding hardware piece.

Thanks for any input - I appreciate it in advance. I put a gear list at the bottom to give an idea what I have, and, if anyone sees a gaping hole in what I'm using - let me know that too.

Best,
J

Rhodes [ARP] Chroma, Chroma Expander, 2 Chroma Polaris' and 1 Chroma Polaris II
Sequential Circuits Prophet VS, and Rev 3.3 prophet 5
Dave Smith Prophet-8 Special Edition and Poly Evolver Keyboard,
Hartmann Neuron,
Oberheim Matrix 12 and Xpander,
Anxiously Awaiting John Bowen Synth Design Solaris :-)
Moog Minimoog and Voyager Signature, and
Crumar Spirit.
Yamaha Motif XS8, Motif (orig) Rack, DX100, FS1r, TG33, S80, TX81z
Alesis Andromeda,
Novation Supernova II
Elektron Sidstation,
Korg Triton, M3 73 with full Radius module (not card), M1REX, 01WFD, 707, 01R/W, Wavestation SR and A/D,
Ensoniq ESQm, VFX-SD
Technics WSA1r,
Kurzweil K1000PX
Roland Jupiter 6, JV5080, D550, S550, MKS 7; 10; 20; 30; 50; 70; 80 (all with programmers), D20, U220, JD800, Juno 106
Kawai K5000s, K5000r, SX210, SX240, K3, K5,
Emu Carnival, Xtreme Lead, Audity 2000, Virtuoso 2000,
Waldorf Q, two original Microwaves, Microwave 2, Pulse Plus, and Microwave XT,
ARP Omni, Omni II, and Solina
Clavia Nord Lead 3
Rhodes 54,
Casio CZ-101 and various PT and VL
Last edited by rhodeschroma on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

The Solaris will be able to process samples in the same way it treats oscillators - frequency modulation, effects, filters, etc.. However, I'm not familiar with the Nord Wave functions, but I know someone who is - carbon111 is his online name, and he has one. Not only that, but he is a Solaris pre-order customer as well, and because he lives 1/2 mile from me, he's had a little bit of time to play with the prototype. I'll ask him to post a response to your question.
-john b.
rhodeschroma

Post by rhodeschroma »

Thanks John - I appreciate it...

- J
Carbon111

Re: Any utility to a Nord Wave? (Already Prepaid a Solaris)

Post by Carbon111 »

rhodeschroma wrote:Is there any utility to purchasing a Nord Wave if I want to take samples and process them in a VA-sort of environment just as if they were traditional oscillators? Will the Solaris keyboard be able to perform this function (or act similarly) reasonably well?
Well, the answer is probably "yes and no" - you will get similar functionality (and much more obviously) from the Solaris though programming it might not be quite as immediate as there is no "fixed architecture" on the Solaris while the Wave is a good emulation of a hardwired analog synth...with 4-OP FM and sample playback tacked on.

To my mind, the Solaris is a really deep, extremely high-quality "programmer's synth" with the best-sounding VA filters I have ever heard while the Nord Wave is a "portable jamming synth" with an OK VA sound but some unique features of its own.

If I could only choose one, it certainly wouldn't be the Nord. However, the little red guy is fun and does have it's own unique character - best to try one in a store, then decide.
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
rhodeschroma

Post by rhodeschroma »

Thanks Carbon111, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately none of the shops in my area have the NordWave on display for me to try and get an idea of my own, that's why I'm throwing it out there to try and get the insight of others (thanks for your help).

Ever since the NordWave went on sale, they became a little more tasty for me to want to potentially include in the studio. From what you've written, I think I'll stick with the solaris, as I'm more into the programming aspect then the jam style interface and lesser sound gen that you've implied regarding the NordWave.

Thanks!
Justin