I hope the solaris community....

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
qtuner

I hope the solaris community....

Post by qtuner »

I've been watching this community for a year now since i've placed my order. I hope that once we as a community start to take delivery of the solaris, this community really heats up. Since there are so few units, ~100, we need the entire user base to play this thing as much as possible. My biggest concern is that the early adopters let it collect dust instead of providing feedback.

John,

will there be a private forum for owners in the future?

all,
does anyone else second guess the color decision they made?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

By private forum, do you mean one guarded by a special 'owners only' password? We can easily set up whatever would work if you would like to have something private. I'll talk to my Web guy about it....

john b.
Fidgit

Post by Fidgit »

why should we need a private, protected, "secret" forum?!
do we have anything to hide? :roll:
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

I don't like the idea of a private forum.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

+1

Forum should remain open to all to encourage interest in Solaris. If there are specific concerns, you can always email JB directly.
cornutt

Post by cornutt »

I agree, we should keep the discussions out here so more potential customers can see it. Doubtless this forum will pick up a lot once some performers have a unit in their hands.
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

Another vote for the public forum.

I think any "extreme" users can easily setup a private forum elsewhere to discuss such minutae as what CPU/mobo/processor/RAM etc mighrt be on the system, how to swap out the case guts into the new case (yeah, I'm one of those folks who said YES, I want to buy both case colors for one keyboard, but that was - ahem - sooo long ago, not sure John is still going to do that option), or any "hacking" the system stuff.

On the other hand, John will likely need to create some kind of user area for "registered" owners, if there would be any place to trade/share wav files, or for large OS downloads, etc. (Access used to have theirs "open" but they now require password.) - Keeps people from killing the server when real users need to get stuff, versus the scraping systems on the net which connect to any file on the site to grab it. But this would probably be more to conserve resources on the system, verus any private info about the product, tips/tricks, or how to get the Forat guy to paint the thing bright red for you.

So, my vote is everything public for the good of the product, especially when it hits retail.

But, possibly a secure "download" area, or part of forum which requires verification of the serial number to post/access (Open Labs has this for their "tech support" section, which is actually dumb since they never post any solutions there, just tell you to call them....).

(I went on there a bit longer than I intended ... sorry!)
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

HI, qtuner
Fyi, the first weekend I have my unit (I'm in the first 50), I will be creating two complete patch sets, one based on traditional analog tones (ala my Matrix 12, Omega 8OD, Minimoog, etc.), and another on more "euro" sounds (ala best of Access Virus, Supernova II, Nord Lead, etc.). These will be avaliable at a super low price (ie., free) through my company. So, no fears there. :-)

I can't wait!! :-)
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
cornutt

Post by cornutt »

Interesting post, Neo... worthy of a new topic! :D
Carbon111

Post by Carbon111 »

Just a quick note: I'll be setting up a fan-driven resource page on my site for the Solaris (similar to my Microwave, Serge and Evolver pages) with free patches, programming guides, etc...

Once we all get the Solaris, I think it would be fun to put together a patch set from submissions from the users of this forum. :idea:
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com