What power-adaptor for the Solaris?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

synthologist

Re: What power-adaptor for the Solaris?

Post by synthologist »

Has anyone tried a linear power supply with their solaris? I find in almost all cases a linear supply improves the sound of any audio device over the switchmode supplies that are manafactured now.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Everyone,

Since I do get this question often, I am also going to put this in the Announcement section so it is easy to find.

It seems that Sunny no longer makes the model we were using that is found in this thread, and I’ve had reports that the proper connector plug (which would be 2.5 mm center diameter and 5.5 mm outer diameter, with a 9.5 mm length) is REALLY hard to find.
Most of the power supplies come with a 2.1 mm center hole, which means you have to force it on to the pin in the back of the Solaris. Also, most connectors seem to be 11 mm, so they will stick out slightly by 1.5 mm.

I had an old monitor with a power supply that does have the correct connector size and power, and I have tested it with my Solaris.
I ordered a second one from eBay, just to maker sure, and now I can say these definitely do work without any problems for your Solaris. Another advantage is that the box uses the IEC C-14 standard cable connection, which is much more common (at least in the US). I’m attaching pictures for you to see, but the exact model is from HJC (Hua Jung Computer Company, Ltd) HASU05F. (Click on the image for a better view.)

The other thing you want to have is at least 2.5 Amp minimum rating for the output, although I feel 3.0 Amp is best.
IMG_1912.JPG
IMG_1913.JPG
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

although I feel 3.0 Amp is best.
Thank you, and is it possible with 4.0 Amp ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, my understanding is to have more Amps is OK. You just don’t want to have too little amperage.
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

Thanks, my old my old power supply has a bit bare wire, I order a HASU05F 4.0 Amp on Ebay :)!
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

So I received a HASU05F 4.0 Amp power supply but there is a problem because the connector is a 2.5x5.5 instead of 2.1x5.5!
At first I thought it was defective but after checking we find the 2 possible dimensions for the HASU05F 4.0 Amp! Be sure to check this when purchasing. For other amperages dimensions may vary as well.

So I'm going to send it back and I was wondering if we can use any power supply from another brand as long as it is 12v and 3 or 4 Amp with the same diagram + inside and - outside for a 2.1X5.5 connector ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Are you saying the 2.5 x 5.5 connector did NOT work for you?!? Because that is the correct size for the Solaris as far as I have experienced. I checked 2 different supplies, and they both are 2.5 x 5.5. With a 9.5 length as well.

To answer your other question - yes, you should be able to use any supply that provides 12 VDC with the Positive lead in the center, and say 3 Amps or more.
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

Are you saying the 2.5 x 5.5 connector did NOT work for you?!? Because that is the correct size for the Solaris as far as I have experienced. I checked 2 different supplies, and they both are 2.5 x 5.5. With a 9.5 length as well.
Yes here is my current model that I had with my Solaris, it is a 2.1 x 5.5 connector:

https://www.keypowersupplies.com/downlo ... 5881808a6c

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/zsidt12_3 ... 9-3612-t2/

I still put a reserve because I do not have a tool to measure and I trust the indications that I find on the internet. If I understood correctly the SYS1419-3612-T2 SUNNY only exists in 2.1 X 5.5 mm
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

When you plug in that power supply, do you feel that you have to force it a little to go on? That is the experience I and several other owners have had, and I researched the issue to discover we needed a 2.5 mm center opening. The 5.5 mm is standard outside diameter. Also, a length of 11 mm just means that the plug feels like it doesn’t go all the way in, but it should be fine.

If your Solaris works better with a 2.1 mm center hole, then this would be different than some others. Please let us know here.
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

When I plug the SUNNY SYS1419-3612-T2 (2.1 mm) I have not to force, it work fine.

When I branch the 2.5mm HASU05F 4.0 Amp I have to force a lot and I'm afraid to break something. If I place it anyway by forcing but not too much, depressed by 5mm, the Solaris still works as well.

The problem with the Sunny 2.1 is a thread is a little stripped (between the power supply and the solaris) and when the solaris is off, it sends a little noise at regular interval ... I will use when Even 2.5mm pending a 2.1mm that suits.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Here is the strange thing:
Imagine that the side of the plug inside the Solaris, the center post, is 2.1 mm in diameter. So when you plug in the power supply, the hole of 2.1 mm fits perfectly. This is as you state.
Now imagine that the hole on the power supply jack is 2.5 mm. This is actually bigger than the 2.1 mm center pin, and it should be even easier or a bit loose by .4 mm, and would not need more force to connect it.

Now imagine the reverse. The Solaris center pin has a 2.5 mm diameter, and the plug has 2.1 mm. Now the plug hole is .4 mm smaller than the pin, so it would take some force to overcome the .4 mm difference, if possible at all to do it.

So I really don’t understand what you are seeing there.

John B.
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

I understand :mrgreen:
I'm sorry for this general confusion ...

I don't have a tool to really measure them but using a ruler I have the impression that the SUNNY is 2.1 and the HASU05F 2.5. But it is frankly small to measure. On the photos I also have the impression that the thickness is a little more important on the SUNNY.
Looking on the internet I only found 2.1mm for the SUNNY but maybe there is a 2.5 ?
What would explain the difference on insertion would be that the 2 are the same size 2.5 or 2.1 mm but the HASU05 is defective ?

Is the SUNNY the original power supply for the Solaris ? (I bought mine second-hand still under warranty a few years ago and shortly after I sent it to Germany after-sales service for a problem with the large rotary potentiometer on the right)

I made some pictures, the yellow is the SUNNY SYS1419-3612-T2 and the black the HASU05F 4.0 Amp, maybe it will be more easy to understand the problem :

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Well, the photos show clearly that the Sunny is smaller in diameter, as I explained. I have 2 of the HASU05F and they both work very nicely with my Solaris, so I am really puzzled by your saying the plug was difficult to fit.
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

Yeah, that's totally incomprehensible to me too. The Sunny enters without the slightest difficulty, in an ideal way. The HASU05F enters a maximum of 5 mm and it's difficult, you really have to force it. Maybe it could go further but I think it could break!
But hey it works well that way so I'll keep this solution.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I guess it’s possible your motherboard has a different connector. How old is your Solaris (what is the serial number)?