New version of the OS ? Soon or not ?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

mambajim

Re: New version of the OS ? Soon or not ?

Post by mambajim »

I wish my comrades had the XITE-1 and were connected digitally via the ODL-312 Hosa Converter to AES/EBU.
I am using the vast array of my own Modular creations like 4 part pitch shifting as seen on the Eventide H5000, and manglers like the SSB Modulator. The STW Plate is really nice for pings and percussive sounds, and the new Tube base DNA Compressor is a treat too.
Using an analog db meter and mostly ears I have Solaris beefed up to the max.
AStill the best effect is the way and various choice of feedback in Solaris itself.
Also use the MIDI Solutions hardware boxes on the out and MIDI in, post and pre the XITE-1.
Couldn't be happier.
If anything I could beg for would be multimode extended to the XITE-1, it's Solaris best friend right now.
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

Regarding FXs
1. All existing FXs available in all 4 slots
2. Dynamic modulation of any parameter
2. Reverb provided it's top notch. Bad reverb(s) would ruine the outstanding sound of Solaris.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

synthwalker wrote:Regarding FXs ...
2. Dynamic modulation of any parameter
So....here's the situation regarding modulating any Effects parameters:

All of the code for the synth part of Solaris (LFOs, Oscs, EGs, Filters, etc.) is processed by the Voice DSPs. The output of these is then summed and sent to the FX DSP, which means that the separate control signals from the synth side are not available as output into the FX DSP (which is not set up for control signal inputs either).
Anything having to do with the FX section has to reside within the FX DSP, so the only solution would be to provide additional control signals inside the FX DSP itself. You would have an FX-LFO, FX-EG, etc. with its own parameters. So, one question would be, how many LFOs/EGs would you want for the FX section?

Also, from what I understand, it would be similarly difficult to provide joystick, ribbon, aftertouch, note, etc., values to the FX DSP for control purposes.

When you say "any parameter" as a mod destination, it would be better if we could have a definition of what FX parameters are 'mostly' needed, since I think if I'm able to get these things added, a limited "FX Mod Matrix" would end up being created.

So, please list number of FX-based Sources and destinations you would like to see...and I'll find out the possibilities.

john b.
mambajim

Post by mambajim »

I never knew a synth could be made to do so much.
Imagine if Oberheims 8) Matrix 12 would have had a Delay........
Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla »

I too would prepay for an update. Thank you.
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

Sources :
- 2 FX-LFOs, 2 FX-envelopes per slot
- controllers like wheels, joystick, pedals, max velocity, pressure
- external MIDI sources (CC)

Destinations :
- freq / depth / feedback / dry-wet mix / time (DDL) / Freq+Q+gain (EQ)
- time / HF damp / LF damp / size / early reflections / density / send (for reverb should it exist)
Weston Underwood

Post by Weston Underwood »

synthwalker wrote:Sources :
- 2 FX-LFOs, 2 FX-envelopes per slot
- controllers like wheels, joystick, pedals, max velocity, pressure
- external MIDI sources (CC)

Destinations :
- freq / depth / feedback / dry-wet mix / time (DDL) / Freq+Q+gain (EQ)
- time / HF damp / LF damp / size / early reflections / density / send (for reverb should it exist)
External midi lockable
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

So realistically, what would be a reasonable expectation for the next OS? Some of our wishes are pie-in-the-sky (more polyphony), some are reasonable (bug fixes, last preset on startup, reverb in effects, etc.). Can we expect any other added features or models?

One thing I was thinking: Solaris does have models for many American synths- Prophet 5/2000, Moog, Oberheim, as well as German wavetables; I would like to see some Japanese flavor- A Yamaha CS-80 would be a lot to ask, but how about mid-80's Rolands: Juno/JX-/Jupiter analogs, with those softer Oscillators and smoother filters (based on the IR-3109 chip)? And yes JB, I'll pay for it!
Soul circuits

Post by Soul circuits »

Hello all and happy new year !
Do we have an estimated date for a new OS in 2014 ? ( maybe I've missed another thread)
Cheers
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Not yet....
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

John Bowen wrote:Not yet....
Why?

Don't get me wrong, but the Solaris still has more bugs than a flea circus.
I am not at all asking for new features. All I am asking for is a synth that actually works as advertised.
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

Christopher, being rude isn't going to get you what you want.
Everyone knows me as a guitar player!
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Christopher wrote:the Solaris still has more bugs than a flea circus.
I think that is an inaccurate and unfair characterization. My Solaris works great, and as far as bugs even in its current form has fewer problems than my Andromeda did. JB has had to overcome huge obstacles just to bring it to our studios, and I am sure we will see an OS update in the near future.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

It's a truth that there are only a few bugs on the actual OS of the Solaris, but some of them are very frustrating for me.
The two midi bugs are really annoying ( perhaps is it only one bug with two consequences ).
It's a fact that with those bugs i can't use my Solaris in the way i would wish : in live sessions i cannot sync it with others musicians and use Arp or Seq. In studio sessions, i cannot ask my daw to play Solaris for me.

John, do you know when we can expect those corrections ?
Is there anybody working on this actually ?

Regards

Patrick
Weston Underwood

Post by Weston Underwood »

I was just about to post the below in answer to the question on the open site and thought better of it before posting on the public internet. I thought it was better placed here:

Do I still use it? Sadly for me the midi bug makes it unuseable to make music. I don't record to a daw, I use a Cirklon sequencer as the hub of my studio and record all midi to that. Sadly the hanging notes make it impossible to use the solaris. If I was recording to daw or sampling from it then clearly I could utilise it but as I don't work that way it means it remains for me an expensive toy. I turn it on everyday, I make sounds that I love, but utilising them is impossible.

If you record to DAW from live playing then clearly you won't have a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is one of the most incredible synths ever created, I'm very grateful to John for fighting to get it produced, I just wish that his developer would find some time to come back to the code and sort out this very important midi bug. And maybe even tweak the comb filter to make it better at KS. These things would be quick before moving onto complex jobs like multimode and greater polyphony. If the midi bug were to remain as it is I would consider it to be a fatal flaw.

John has fought for a long while to get the synth in peoples hands, and I trust him to eventually get the bugs ironed out, so for me it remains a solid buy.