Local On - transmit MIDI?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

nts

Local On - transmit MIDI?

Post by nts »

Hi there - Perhaps I have something configured wrong:

I am looping my Solaris through my DAW, to record and play it via MIDI; so normally I'd turn "local control" off so as not to double-trigger notes. When I do that on the Solaris, it doesn't seem to transmit MIDI from the keyboard. Wondering if perhaps I've got something configured incorrectly. Normally I'd expect "local off" to disconnect the keyboard from the synth engine (which indeed it does), but transmit via MIDI (which it does not seem to do). Perhaps that's not how its implemented on the Solaris?

Thanks in advance!
chapolin

Re: Local On - transmit MIDI?

Post by chapolin »

Hi,

Local off work fine on my solaris with the latest OS, do you use the good midi channel out ? good channel in in your daw ?
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

Which OS do you use ? AFAIR, the function used to be "local off" in older OS revisions, so you had to put "local off" to "off" if you wanted "local on"...
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, please check the OS version, and make sure it’s v1.4.1. The problem you are describing was with an older version.
nts

Post by nts »

Thanks so much for the responses - it very well could be user-error.

OK - I double checked: running 1.4.1.

On the MIDI page, I have
CH 1, On On On = this works as expected: i receive MIDI notes in Ableton, and the keyboard triggers locally.
CH1, On On Off = the keyboard does not trigger (as expected), but I do not receive notes in Ableton. It's as if Local Off also disconnects the keyboard from MIDI. Would that be right?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hmmm, doesn’t seem right. Obviously, you have Midi Control set ON, or you wouldn’t see any notes in Ableton.

I will have to get Jim to take a look...
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

Sorry, I was away for a few days.

Looks like sometimes it doesn't work right but sometimes it does. Which is probably why it got missed. It's a bug.

Jim
Solaris #249
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

Actually, looking at it closer, it's not technically a bug depending on how you look at it. You probably have SendArp set to On. When SendArp is On, you want only the notes that have been generated by the Arp to be sent out over MIDI, not the notes played on the keyboard. So you need to set SendArp to Off.

However, it's obviously very easy to get into this combination and wonder what's going on. It seems to me that even when SendArp is On, the notes from the keyboard should still be sent out to MIDI unless the Arp is actually on. Easier and less confusion. Make sense? I'll change it.
Solaris #249
nts

Post by nts »

Awesome, and that makes sense. Thanks for looking at this, and much appreciated! In the meantime I will turn off SendArp while not using it.

I guess ideally, the sendarp parameter would work more like an insert effect to the midi chain. So if off, and local off, keyboard sends midi, if on and local off, keyboard triggers arp, which sends midi. I haven't tested yet, but how does this effect the sequencer, if at all?