Reset controllers

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

kporkka

Reset controllers

Post by kporkka »

Having a strange problem with channel aftertouch, which behaves in an inverse manner: the harder the press, the less AT is output. Tried to calibrate the keyboard (actual procedure is different from what is written in the manual), but to no avail. Had similar issues with the ribbon controller but after several tries, I was able to calibrate that correctly. Pitch bend, MW, JS work ok. Is there a way to reset controllers? I am on 1.4.3.

Kimmo
minorguy

Re: Reset controllers

Post by minorguy »

I was not able to reproduce the inverse problem. Make sure modulation amount is set to a positive value. Or possibly start with an INIT preset to make sure there's no unusual settings. At the moment I can't think of anything else that might affect it. Yes, the calibration procedure in the manual seems to be out of date. There's no way to reset controllers.
If you have a way to do it, you might also check what is coming out of MIDI when you press down. Are the aftertouch numbers increasing when you press down? You could probably send to another synth or record into a DAW or something else like that.
Solaris #249
kporkka

Post by kporkka »

Thanks for the reply, I checked from a MIDI monitor and indeed, the harder I press the keyboard, the lower the AT values. Interesting effect in itself and I can obviously always use negative modulation for quick remedy, but would like to get it working as it should.

In the calibration menu, I also had a lot of issues with the ribbon controller as it tried to set the highest and lowest value to the same number no matter what I did. Succeeded after several tries and a quick finger on the Enter button. And something strange is also with the keyboard calibration. Could you please check that the calibration works for you, thanks! Perhaps a hardware issue, a loose connector or similar.

I just got a Kurzweil Midiboard, which works fine/great for polyAT, perhaps that messed things up. However, disconnecting the Midiboard and calibrating does not help.
kporkka

Post by kporkka »

In the manual, there is a table on reset controller values but no mention how to do it. Perhaps via a midi command?
reset_controllers.png
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

The MIDI reset controller message does not reset the calibration data. It's just a way to reset controllers to zero when they have been adjusted by a DAW or another synth. For example, if you're playing back a MIDI recording and you stop it when the mod wheel is at some high value and rewind to start. The DAW will just send a reset controller message to reset the mod wheel and all other controllers to zero.

I have gone though the calibration process again. For aftertouch, when I pressed fairly hard I see values roughly between 70 and 90. It can depend a little bit where on the keyboard you press. When I release I see a value of 1020.
Solaris #249
kporkka

Post by kporkka »

Thanks. When I calibrate, I get a similar high AT value, but the lower value is almost identical (or even greater) than the high value no matter what I do. Perplexed.
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

This seems less likely to be a software bug. Perhaps John can comment on it, though he may be currently busy with round 7.
Solaris #249
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Is this something recent, or it always was this way ?
If always, perhaps the cable from the aftertouch sensor is plugged in backwards.

JB