Global LFO

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

jgale

Global LFO

Post by jgale »

Hi all,

Is there a way to have a global lfo feature on the Solaris where the lfo’s are in sync in phase and depth? Each modulation source seems to be per voice (which is great for Poly AT and other evolving sounds), but I am trying to emulate the single lfo’s on older poly synths.

You can sort of emulate this by having the lfos re-trigger and playing a chord, but it falls apart if you add more notes…

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Global LFO

Post by John Bowen »

At the moment the only way to do this is to use the Retrigger function as you state, and you are correct, this doesn’t work for subsequent notes played if you are holding down a previously played chord or notes.

I'll see if Jim can take a look into a way we could provide a global LFO-type function for the Vibrato LFO at least.
jgale

Post by jgale »

Thanks John. I was wondering if this might be in the code under Jim's control. Let me know what if anything that Jim could do for this.

A future wish list for this would be:

- LFO options for free running (today's functionality) or all voices being linked for that lfo
- EG and Loop EG options to operate polyphonically (today's functionality) or monophonically - all voices being linked for that EG with re-trigger / no re-trigger options when new notes are pressed while other notes are being held.

I am working to emulate the sound and functionality of the CS-80 ring modulator which has a monophonic EG and single lfo. To archive this I used the Solairis to trigger my Moog Voyager. It is set to have the envelope modulate the frequency of OSC3 which I then feed to the Soalris EXT1 to AM1. A little convoluted, but sounds and behaves much like the CS-80 ring modulator with new notes not re-triggering the EG...

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Actually, as I read your message, I realize that these things are really going to be in the DSP code, not the Blackfin code that Jim is working with.
I will have to bring it up with Hrast.
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

Since the voices are handled by separate DSPs which don't communicate with each other, I don't think the LFOs could be synced in a sample-accurate way. The LFOs are retriggered only when a note is played. So the only way I could do a kind of pseudo-sync in code is to play 10 short notes with re-trigger enabled which are played as close together in time as possible.

I tried this trick. Turn on the LFO retrigger. Then play at least 10 notes at exactly the same time. You can use a book or some other straight edge (but don't damage your keyboard). Then turn off LFO retrigger. The LFOs are all free-running but stay fairly close. They shouldn't drift because they're digital. But they're not sample-accurate of course. And not good for S/H since the values will be different.

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about or not.
Solaris #249