D50 waves

Post any sample files you'd like to share with other Solaris owners.

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

D50 waves

Post by John Bowen »

Someone sent me a set of samples that look like they match the D-50’s set of waves (plus 4 user waves). I put a quick 4-part Multi preset together to show how you can have four of the rhythmic loops played together, 1 per octave (basically). You will need v2.0 OS installed to play it, of course. The preset is #70, so you just need to make sure you remove it from the folder you get when this file is uncompressed, then drop it into a Patch folder inside any Bank folder you want (you can change the patch number as well, but make sure there are no other patches with the same number). The remaining contents of the folder should be put into the Samples folder on your CF card (you have to take them out of the D-50 waves folder and put them directly in the Samples folder).

The SamplePool.txt file is numbered -004, so this is assuming you have the first 3 Factory sample pools on your CF card (Glockenspiel, Harpsichord, and Violins). There are 104 waves in this Sample Pool. If you need to renumber the Sample Pool to something else, just change it and delete the pool004.map file. The Solaris will rebuild the map with the new SamplePool number automatically. (Rebuilding the map will take about 10 seconds.)

To load the sample files, you have 2 choices:

1) Go to the Home page 2 and select the lower knob for ‘SmpPool’. Change it to SamplePool 4 (you should see the name of the pool D50 Waves in the bottom status line), then press Enter (which should be flashing) to load the samples. You can watch the progress of the load in the display, and it should take about 55 seconds.

2) Before selecting the preset, go to your System page 1 and turn ON the LoadSamp parameter. This will automatically load the appropriate Sample Pool needed by a preset.
If you want your system to always do this, you should save it to your global init file, which is done by turning ON the Save parameter on that same System page, then pressing Enter, which saves everything in the System and MIDI pages to your CF card. These settings are loaded when you boot up the synth.

For the preset:
Part 1 is C-1 to C3 - set Osc 1 to WAV 95
Part 2 is C#3 to C4 - set Osc 1 to WAV 96
Part 3 is C#4 to C5 - set Osc 1 to WAV 98
Part 4 is C#5 to G9 - set Osc 1 to WAV 99

Of course, you can select any other looped sample to try them out!

There is the option of using the Delay FX to enhance the patch, which is set, but not turned on (Delay Mode is set to Bypass, so just change it to Delay or XDelay.)

The other thing is, each part is set to not track the keyboard, so the zones are just to isolate the 4 samples you choose. Playing any key within the zone will play the same pitch. The fun is to try out different loops for each of the 4 parts, finding matches that you like.

Hope you have fun with these!
D-50 waves.zip
(5.56 MiB) Downloaded 311 times
chapolin

Re: D50 waves

Post by chapolin »

Thank you. I tried it but there had a problem with the name of SamplePool-04.txt. So I renamed it in SamplePool-004.txt and now it work good. But when i try to play your sound number 70 there is no sound ... I have something only if I change the wave of the part 3 ... How can I use this preset 70 ? It is a special preset ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Chapolin,

Thanks for pointing out that I had misnamed the SamplePool. It is required that the name uses 3 digits, not 2! I have revised the zip file now with the correct name.

I also realized that I assumed everyone would know to load the samples - this is why there is no sound. I’ve added instructions above on how to do this.

Hope that all helps!
Octupole

Post by Octupole »

John, thank you for sharing these samples!

On my Solaris I have some strange behaviour when I save a sound using these samples to CF card, and loading it back again from CF card into the memory. The selected sample can be altered after re-loading the sound, depending on what sample I select.

If the selected sample corresponds to a wave number 1...15 in the Oscillator, everything is fine. When I re-load the sound from CF, the wave number is correct.

If the selected sample corresponds to a wave number 16...64, then the re-loaded sound has a different sample selected, corresponding to wave number 15. All samples are correctly uploaded and present in Solaris' memory, but the wrong sample is selected in the Oscillator.

If the selected sample corresponds to a wave number 65...104, then the re-loaded sound has the first sample selected, corresponding to wave number 1.

The preset you added will load on my machine with the first sample selected (wave number = 1) in all parts.

I am using V 2.0.0.2 that you had sent me by Email.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, this is a bug that has been fixed in the next release. The fixed preset is here (and I have also updated the D-50 zip file above with this):
p70.JB D-50 4 Part Rhytm.pre.zip
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 462 times