Current owners - joystick question

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

Current owners - joystick question

Post by John Bowen »

I have the option of purchasing the joystick with a spring return for future production runs, and I thought I’d get some feedback from current owners.
Do you wish you had a spring-loaded joystick, or do you prefer being able to set the joystick’s position and be able to leave it there?
jaykeel

Re: Current owners - joystick question

Post by jaykeel »

I'd much rather be able to move it, and leave it. Love it the way it is.
Neotrope

Post by Neotrope »

I'd rather have 2 joysticks, one of each ... ;-)

Hmmm... very good question JB... generally I prefer the snappy action for playing, but I think for vectoring in this case, it's best the way it is, since it's more useful to put something at a blend spot (TM) and then move hand to mod wheel while playing or performing/recording "movement" in a sound.

I think for lead lines, the pitch and ribbon will do just fine...

I suppose if you were going to bolt on an x-y pad, then maybe the joystick would be useful in Korg style snappy backy, but I think you got it right on this one. I initially didin't like the kind of stop points at edge since one leans toward rolling around the outer edge like a finger on a glass, but once you get to keep in a little you can roll around the periphery just fine.

I am trying not to use mine, actually, in case we can pull off the color swap adventure (Update me by email if you have any newness on that action, JB). Actually in midst of moving studio around trying to decide what to sell, keep and all that nonsense still, so.... anyway... them's my two point four five cents.

Share and enjoy!
I have so much MIDI gear it would warp your soul.

I am the CEO of Neotrope® and am also the editor at MusicIndustryNewswire.com and have been a music journalist and MIDI guru since 1984 (ie since MIDI existed).
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I am happy with mine as is, for the simple reason that it can be set before the program change right where you need it.
A different sound, or pan on the same preset provides more versions of the same preset.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
alexg

Post by alexg »

Keep it like that !
francois

Post by francois »

Leave as is. I disagree with the SoS review, no need for a spring loaded model. Plus, it's useful to be able to leave the joystick in a given position.
"Sit Solaris vobiscum"
urge

Post by urge »

I too would leave it like it is...
bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

My old Novation Remote 25 allows you to engage/disengage the joystick spring by flipping a tab on the bottom of the unit. I wonder if something like that is an option if people really want it? It's not a very nice joystick though. I wouldn't trade it for the current Solaris joystick, even for the spring option.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I have enough feedback from both the forum and privately now - we ordered the joystick without the spring.

Thanks everyone!

John b.
serena-5

Post by serena-5 »

I know the decision has already been made, but I agree with it...leave it as is.
Neil

Post by Neil »

It seems we all agree and that you made the right choice John :-)
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I use it for external controls, like the x-y fade control in Scopes Modular Patches, and even a pretty darn smooth CFM Sweep on my SE-1X. I have to use a Transormer/Merge trick so when CC16 and CC17 hit the synth, they appear as MIDI CC #16.
I find the Aftertouch is good enough for all Vibrato and Vector/Rotor stuff, which leaves the nice resolution of the wheel fro reatime CFMs. The Ribbon works great on detune and Pitch Modulation on Sync.
To think every year we'll get new updates seems really cool, but as of now I am a happy camper.

Might I ask what bugs there are....? Just curious as the ones I have seen are of little hinderence, although I would like the EG shutdown/Free running option per preset, as the LFO retriggering does.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole