Subtle noise impurities apparent

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Damo Diggler

Subtle noise impurities apparent

Post by Damo Diggler »

My 'white' Solaris is an amazing device, best Synth I have ever owned and I am a analogue purist, so this has converted me.

However, I'd like to find out if I'm the only one experiencing these little pops and audible impurities, very subtle, but very noticeable (on default patches - i havent had much time to make my own yet), that disappear when you hit the FX bypass.

I'll post some patch numbers, that are affected by what sounds like slight distortion or overloaded signals, plus slightly superstitious of me, but my unit number is 113. I'm terrified of finding out I have a faulty FX bus or something relative.
Zahush76

Re: Subtle noise impurities apparent

Post by Zahush76 »

Something like this? :

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16204
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

Thanks Zahush, I wish I could read that link you posted, but it says I am not authorized to view it.. :(

Another problem I have (might be totally unrelated) is my Solaris has frozen during "booting..." at the Waldorf screen, it's happened 3 times, 1st time out of the box, 2nd time a few weeks ago, and then just this morning... I feel like it's slipping into darkness :(

But, to add to the initial impurity claim, it seems more noticeable via the SPDIF out, on patch 01 - "JB P5 PolyFM", I am getting a piece of white noise, seems to be there perfectly at a point where the oscillation is riding through the sinewave. I realise it may be an incompatibility between the digital interfaces, which I am willing to accept, but I also can hear this via the phones jack and outputs 1&2.
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

If you're an owner - than you should get authorization to get in the owners zone.
Anyway, here are the links to some soundcloud clips of me playing simple chords on the Solaris, and you hear "crackles". Is this similar to what you have?

https://soundcloud.com/#zahush76/solaris-pad-crackles

https://soundcloud.com/#zahush76/solaris-brass-crackles
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

Hi Zahush,

Yep, that's very similar to what I'm experiencing, although yours seems to make your sounds 'jump' like a stylus on a record, whereas my impurities seem to be imbedded or layered on to the sound, not causing a skip..

And yes, I have authorization now, John is very tentative, he read my post got in contact with me and gave me access, so I have read your thread.

Fingers crossed there's not too much pain / downtime on the road to recovery with this issue.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Are you guys using the analog or SPDIF outputs?
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

marzzz wrote:Are you guys using the analog or SPDIF outputs?
As i've mentioned before - i get these crackles wether i use the analog outputs, digital outputs, or while listening to Solaris directly thru my headphones thru the headphone output.
So it sounds like that on all outs, and wether it's going thru my user interface into cubase - or directly to the headphones without even passing thru any daw or interfac.
Haddock69

Post by Haddock69 »

Hello,

As a prospective buyer, this problem is rather worrying ... Could you give us an update, was the problem fixed ? Was it a faulty Solaris ?

Thanks
Christophe
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

I think that problem occurred with exactly one Solaris, which had been subjected to rough shipping.
Haddock69

Post by Haddock69 »

Oh ok, thanks marzzz.

Christophe