Arp. timing disrupted by "browsing" presets with data wheel.

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Little Gorilla

Arp. timing disrupted by "browsing" presets with data wheel.

Post by Little Gorilla »

Hello. The subject says it really - set a basic arpeggio running, engage hold and then press Preset and spin the data wheel a bit, looking at other preset names but not actually loading them. The arpeggio timing is now messed up. When you stop moving the wheel it has a little "catching up with itself" flurry of activity and then it's back to the proper timing. You may have to try this a few times to really get a good example but it's not right, I reckon. Not the most troublesome thing ever but, taken with the other problems regarding timing, perhaps it's worth noting.

This doesn't involve any other gear - just the Solaris and an amp.

Cheerio.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Arp. timing disrupted by "browsing" presets with data wh

Post by John Bowen »

This could be because when you scroll, the Solaris to needs to go out & read the CF card and so it takes a little bit of time to do that.

What we could do to help that would be to read some preset names into a buffer and have a small number of preset names, or set aside enough memory to load all of the current bank preset names into memory, then you could spin the wheel through all of the names in memory instead of having to read off the CF card.
Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla »

Thanks John - I think I'd prefer to have the preset names of an entire bank in a portion of memory if possible. (This may say something about my disorganised character, although I like to sell it as improvisational flair...)

Cheers.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

So, if the current bank is changed with a new Program Select, there will be a bit of a lag while all the new bank's preset names are loaded. (Unknown how long this would be.)
Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla »

I think that sounds OK John. Can't think more at the moment - too tired - but that sounds reasonable to me, I think!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yeah, the main thing would be that the timing would be seriously interrupted with a bank change, so you would just need to put all the programs you expect to be using in one bank. (You also have to edit each preset to use arpeggios. Right now there's no way to disconnect the current arppegio so you can step through different sounds using the same arppegio. Something more to discuss.)
Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla »

Well, I reckon that if I could start an arpeggio going and browse a banks worth of presets without disturbing the timing that would be absolutely fine. Getting a patch from another bank - well, that could take a good few seconds without disrupting me too much really! So long as I had my one bank, then I could start my arpeggio running and let it entertain the masses while I looked at my hundred plus patches in that one bank to see what might happen next.

(Sure would be nice to be able to start the arpeggio and then load other patches with it still running - so, one arpeggio, lots of different sounds playing it. Paid update...).