Custom wood ends for the Solaris

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
wsequeira

Custom wood ends for the Solaris

Post by wsequeira »

Hi Folks,

Just replaced my Solaris' wood ends with custom rustic walnut ends made by Dennis Chenoweth ( http://www.custommade.com/by/customboxes). Thought I would pass it along in case any of you feel like customizing your Solaris. Dennis is a great guy to work with and can do about most anything you ask. This was the second project I did with him and highly recommend him to all of you.
Attachments
Solaris with custom Chenoweth wood ends in rustic walnut
Solaris with custom Chenoweth wood ends in rustic walnut
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Custom wood ends for the Solaris

Post by John Bowen »

Bill, can you give an idea of the cost to have something like this done?
wsequeira

Post by wsequeira »

These wood ends in rustic walnut where circa $40 not including shipping. They are also an inch thick, 30% thicker than the stock ends as I wanted to convey weight and substance while still using the standard fasteners. Dennis can make them using any kind of wood available, albeit at a price point commensurate with the cost of the wood chosen.

Very hard to find wordsmiths with great art and craft, creativity and brains, who can produce great stuff at a reasonable price point and do it fast. He also made a superb enclosure for a Serge Kraken of mine, equally impressive and well priced too. I am not associated with him, just an extremely satisfied customer. His email address is dchenoweth@charter.net in case you prefer to contact him directly.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

In the beginning, I had a number of wood sides made to see if it was viable to offer some nice custom options, and these examples were also a bit thinker than what we ship with now, so I can appreciate what you did there (although, I don't think they were a full 1 inch thick). I was getting them done by synthwood.com, but he has been fully occupied with other things, and I think is no longer doing any woodwork, so it's really nice to have another option now for Solaris owners!

What I can do is publish the old photos I made if I can find them, showing a few different wood choices, in the event owners would like to contact Dennis to do this work.

Thanks for posting, Bill!
jazzbo58

Post by jazzbo58 »

Those ends look great!

Cheers,
Jim
wsequeira

Post by wsequeira »

John Bowen wrote: ....8<....I was getting them done by synthwood.com, but he has been fully occupied with other things, and I think is no longer doing any woodwork, so it's really nice to have another option now for Solaris owners!

What I can do is publish the old photos I made if I can find them, showing a few different wood choices, in the event owners would like to contact Dennis to do this work.

Thanks for posting, Bill!
You are welcome. I didn't have good luck with synthwood.com in the past, so I felt very lucky to run into Dennis.
wsequeira

Post by wsequeira »

jazzbo58 wrote:Those ends look great!
They're even better in person - sometimes the light doesn't help capture all the nuances of wood.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Well, I never did find any photos from way back when I had synthwood make me some side panels, but I did contact Dennis Chenoweth, asking if he could send out any additional pictures. It turns out he has a set of beautiful ornate walnut sides ready for purchase. Here's additional information from Dennis:
These end pieces are 13/16 inch thick. I include a matching set of wooden plugs to seal the mounting holes. Finishing can be done with glossy, semi-gloss, satin, or natural wax finish. I've priced these at $40.00.
First is the ornate walnut set:
Ornate walnut end pieces.jpg
Ornate walnut end pieces.jpg (145.45 KiB) Viewed 23912 times

Also, here's an order he did with what he calls 'rustic walnut':
Rustic walnut Solaris end pieces.jpg
Rustic walnut Solaris end pieces.jpg (156.37 KiB) Viewed 23912 times
He also does a wide variety of other woodworking projects, so please let him know if you are interested in having some custom side panels done (or anything else, for that matter!):
http://www.custommade.com/by/customboxes/
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

Rustic walnut is on its way to my Solaris, John... :wink:
I'll post here some photos as soon as I have them installed.
I think they'll better match the Matrix-12 ends here...

marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Hmmmm.....I wonder what would go well with a dark Solaris?
Hein Eken

Post by Hein Eken »

marzzz wrote:Hmmmm.....I wonder what would go well with a dark Solaris?
carbonized wood

:mrgreen:

H.
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

Love your set up! Tell me, How does the Solaris compare to the OB-X? It's the one synth of my dreams that I never owned. When I was buying the Solaris, I had the chance to buy a very nice 8 Voice OB-X for about 5K here in the US that had just been totally restored. I still wonder from time to time, (like now) if I made the right choice.

Love how have them set up too.!
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

OB-X is far more immediate, everything you program sounds so well. But it is limited to pads / strings / brass / organs.
Solaris needs more work but the sounds complexity + quality you can get from it is second to none.
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

Here are the wood ends Dennis made for me. He also provided wood caps to put in the screw holes, but I prefer them as is.