Solaris Expander Announced

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Hein Eken

Re: Solaris Expander?

Post by Hein Eken »

John Bowen wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:59 pm Only even voice numbers are possible because each of 5 DSP chips produce 2 voices (the 6th DSP manages the FX and output routing). The parameters for a program are downloaded to the chip when selected, and so each one plays 2 voices with the same settings.

(Technically we could have 5 parts playing two voices each, but I wanted to stay consistent with the Enable Part buttons on the front panel.)
O.k.,- I guess the Enable Part buttons now are related to the 4 MIDI zones once the unit is set to work in MIDI Multi mode,- yes ?

But what has consistence between "Part" buttons and MIDI Zones to do w/ voice allocation ?
Aren´t voices freely assignable across the DSPs ?
You say, when deciding for a monophonic part, the 2nd voice of that DSPchip playing the part´s patch/preset is lost ?
Is that a technical limitation of the SHARC DSP or the SDK ?

More ...

Do we get a software editor for the 1HU Solaris module once it is available ?
If yes,- is it a VST plugin, standalone application (Mac, PC or both ?) and possibly a SCOPE device in addition?

Or is the 1HU just only a polyphony-expander for Solaris keyboard synths and listening to MIDI SysEx,- while the desktop module is for the non Solaris keyboard owners ?

:)

Hein
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Solaris Expander Announced

Post by John Bowen »

Voices are not freely assignable across the DSPs. Each DSP can play 2 voices of one sound.
Unfortunately, yes, a monophonic patch will still require one DSP, so you do “lose” a voice (unless your mono patch is using Unison, in which case you have a 2 voices stack).

While a software editor is planned, at present time we will only be selling it as a voice expander. The Editor will come later, once I find a coder for it.
Hein Eken

Post by Hein Eken »

John Bowen wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 pm Voices are not freely assignable across the DSPs. Each DSP can play 2 voices of one sound.
Unfortunately, yes, a monophonic patch will still require one DSP, so you do “lose” a voice (unless your mono patch is using Unison, in which case you have a 2 voices stack).
Thank you,- losing a voice is somewhat sad, but I appreciate 2-voice stacking as a feature.
And I appreciate we´ll see MIDI multi mode at all,- so no complain.
John Bowen wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 pm While a software editor is planned, at present time we will only be selling it as a voice expander. The Editor will come later, once I find a coder for it.
O.k., then the 1HU is not for me.
Solaris TT possibly will be though.

:)

Hein
auton

Post by auton »

As an existing Solaris owner I am excited by the prospect of have rack expanders for layering or doubling.
John I have sent you a PM to express my interest and for payment details
Any update on what ins-and-outs are going to be on the rear of the rack ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

auton wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:20 pm Any update on what ins-and-outs are going to be on the rear of the rack ?
Yes, it’s exactly the same main board that is in your keyboard version, so all of the same ins and outs.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Good news for those interested in the 1U Solaris Voice Expander! I have been informed by Sonic Core that they are getting ready to start shipping these units soon. Please contact them with this email address: office@soniccore.de

Post by Guest »

My expander is on its way
dingebre

Post by dingebre »

Got mine last week - Amazing!!!

Thank you John, Holger, and the team at Sonic Core!
David

David M. Ingebretsen
dingebre@3dphysics.net
cixelsyd

Post by cixelsyd »

@john Bowen. Hey John. I purchased the rack expander and I don’t own a Solaris keyboard. I’ve done a lot of programming, am familiar with sysex coding and I’ve also programmed an additive synth on the reason platform named Spectra. My plan was to develop a software controller for the rack expander in spare moments between my full time job as an enterprise architect and my own musicall musings. Anyway. Im wondering if you are able to provide any available information on the loading and saving functions. I thought I read somewhere on the forum that these existed. Apologies if I’m mistaken.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

cixelsyd wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:10 pm @john Bowen. Hey John. I purchased the rack expander and I don’t own a Solaris keyboard. I’ve done a lot of programming, am familiar with sysex coding and I’ve also programmed an additive synth on the reason platform named Spectra. My plan was to develop a software controller for the rack expander in spare moments between my full time job as an enterprise architect and my own musicall musings. Anyway. Im wondering if you are able to provide any available information on the loading and saving functions. I thought I read somewhere on the forum that these existed. Apologies if I’m mistaken.
Let’s ask Holger at Sonic Core as he is in charge of the SysEx code.
cixelsyd

Post by cixelsyd »

Sent him an email.