Super deluxe Solaris

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
marzzz

Super deluxe Solaris

Post by marzzz »

Just for fun, let's say the Solaris goes into production shortly and sells reasonably well, enough that JB can consider a "Super Deluxe" version (as sort of mentioned in the I/O topic with regard to AES digital outs). Within reason, i.e., given that the Solaris is currently $3999 and a "deluxe" could be, say, $5999, what would you want in "your" deluxe Solaris?

For me, a 76 key version with PolyAT, of course!
ThreeFingersOfLove

Post by ThreeFingersOfLove »

Oh that's easy:

1. Analog filters (MUST HAVE)
2. Poly aftertouch (MUST HAVE)
3. 24 voice polyphony (can live without)
4. AES/EBU (can live without)

I will buy it right away. No questions asked.

:D
Carbon111

Post by Carbon111 »

More memory space for on board samples.

A 76 key, weighted, high-quality keybed.

A real analog (or tube-based) gain stage at the end of the signal chain for warmth/distortion, etc...
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
Fidgit

Post by Fidgit »

hmmm, strange. how about using and learning to use the announced hardware first - before asking for more and more and more?! :roll:
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Fidgit wrote:hmmm, strange. how about using and learning to use the announced hardware first - before asking for more and more and more?! :roll:
Like I said, "just for fun." Nothing wrong with throwing out some ideas, and gives us something to talk about until the hardware actually gets here. :roll: :roll: :roll:
cornutt

Post by cornutt »

How about support for Open Sound Control?
Carbon111

Post by Carbon111 »

Fidgit wrote:hmmm, strange. how about using and learning to use the announced hardware first - before asking for more and more and more?! :roll:
...but I've already used the Solaris a whole bunch! :D

It's just fun to talk about possibilities. As Debbie Harry says, "dreamin is free". :lol:
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I already have a substantial collection of polished 1-2MB sized Kyma Waveforms and old D50 Partials.
But recently I have successfully integrated my hardware Analog synths into the Modular IV shell of the XITE-1.
I have various CV Modules for ecternally connecting synths and hardware effects, but the latest embedded ASIO I/O module means I can creat an Analog and Digital Audio loop where my Analog synths and Solaris can be parts of a giant multi-timbral beast, and the succesfull embedded ASIO I/O modules mean I can have rather large 24bit stereo samples brought into Solaris and remixed so I can have higher quality samples and they can be changed in realtime inside of the Mod IV shell via MIDI Prgm Chnge messages.
Solaris will be a psuedo 8 Zone controller if I want.
I know the 2 x powerful ADSP 21369's DSP chips in Solaris are going to be plenty of power, but I have 12 more of those in my XITE-1.
I just recently proved this using my Analog synths I/O's and if Solaris has the type of SP/DIF I need I can use Modular for the creation of the Zones and mixing of various sources of synthesis and Audio...............
That will be Deluxe IMHO.

But, down the road PAT, OSC and 76 key semi weighted board would dominate all others.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Jimmy,

Solaris is 6 x ADSP 21369.
cheers,
john b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:Oh that's easy:

1. Analog filters (MUST HAVE)
2. Poly aftertouch (MUST HAVE)
3. 24 voice polyphony (can live without)
4. AES/EBU (can live without)

I will buy it right away. No questions asked.

:D
And how many Analog filters would that be? Generally I'd think you'd want one per voice, and if we are running 10-15 voices, that's an expensive option!!

-jb
3rdConstruction

Post by 3rdConstruction »

I'm thinking the Solaris we're getting IS the super deluxe model...
... speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.
lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater »

3rdConstruction wrote:I'm thinking the Solaris we're getting IS the super deluxe model...
My thoughts exactly.

Analogue filters a must? Well, to each his own, but I would prefer not to have noisy analogue electronics messing up a beautiful sounding, digital mega-synth. Why reduce fidelity with multiple trips through DA/ADs?

The only upgrades I can see being really worthwhile on a synth this capable sonically, are those that would allow it to be played more expressively (polyAT), and those that would allow you to interface it with higher-end gear (AES/EBU).

Certainly not complaining about the lack of either of these options though. I'd pay extra for an AES upgrade, but not polyAT.
BF

Post by BF »

lotus-eater wrote:
3rdConstruction wrote:I'm thinking the Solaris we're getting IS the super deluxe model...
My thoughts exactly.
As well, but if we are having fun... laser guns and a tank full of electric eels.
pew pew... zap!
O, is it too late to mention tank tracks or a hovercraft mode?
tinhu

Post by tinhu »

and to make a cup of coffee ,
what else ?
"switched on bach"
valis
Site Admin

Post by valis »

Personal HAARP generator with the right presets to generate "good vibes" in the venue rather than the nasty stuff that HAARP is reportedly used for...oh 'frickin laser beams' would be bad either!