opposite of Note

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

stefanovic

opposite of Note

Post by stefanovic »

Hi,

I searched through the docs and the forum, but could not find how to modulate things with the 'opposite' of Note.
I guess the Note parameter is a growing value according to the key pressed by the player, but would it be possible to use something like, (127-Note), and modulate as much as possible in the bass range instead of the high range?

Best,

Stéphane
minorguy

Re: opposite of Note

Post by minorguy »

If you have a mixer available, I think one way would be to send the Note through the Mixer and set that mixer input to a negative value. Then modulate with the Mixer. The Solaris is modular!
Solaris #249
stefanovic

Post by stefanovic »

Yes, but wouldn't it result in a negative value only (which is already available in the mod page through a negative 'Amount' parameter)?
'0 - Note' is not the same as 'X - Note'.
In the first case, values go from left to right:
0 -1 -2 -3 -4 ... -127
In the second case, values go from left to right:
127 126 125 .... 3 2 1

The absolute value (the magnitude, which I want to 'reverse') does not change by only making it negative...
Maybe I miss something.
Last edited by stefanovic on Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

I guess you are right I hadn't spent a lot of time thinking about it. But doesn't it give you the same effect? If you're modulating the cutoff freq then it will open the filter more as you go down the keyboard instead of less. I suppose you can also use MaxVal as another modulator to add to that first row of negative numbers you have to give you the second row.
If I'm missing something, which I probably am, then how about using a keytable? Set the first value to 100% and the last to 0 and the middle values will be interpolated.
Solaris #249
stefanovic

Post by stefanovic »

Thank you, I'll try both. I find the keytable one interesting, as it would enable more precise settings.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I just applied a negative initial amount to a filter cutoff in full resonance using Note, and after setting Key Track to 0%, the cutoff does indeed track downward as I play up the keyboard. Is this not what you want?

John
stefanovic

Post by stefanovic »

I'm not sure.

What I want is to control the amount of detune of two oscs according to the note.
I want more detune in the bass range, and less detune in the treble.
What I had in mind was to set a 'Note' Mod for the 2nd osc pitch, with a negative amount, as you did in your example, but the problem is that the more I play up, the more it sounds detuned, which is the opposite of what I want.

But thinking about it, the trick may lie in the initial value to modify (e.g. 'Fine'): if I maximize it as you did with the filter cutoff (fully open, is it?), then the mod with a negative amount will lower it down until it reaches 0, which is what I want.
My first tries seem to be ok.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Keep in mind that you have the oscillators still tracking the keyboard, so adding a negative note will add (subtract) from the oscillator tracking.
I’ve just set up a patch that tunes Osc 1 & 2 to unison at the top of the keyboard ( C-7), then detunes Osc 2 as I play down.

Here’s the settings used:

1) Osc 2 Modulation by Note - the smallest amount of modulation for pitch that you can set is 0.1, so I dialed that in as a -0.1 to the pitch of Osc 2.
2) But that offsets the unison pitch, so I set Osc 2 Fine’s tuning to +27

Now as I play down the keyboard, it gets progressively more detuned. (Pretty bad at the lowest C!). This is what you expressed as the desired result, however, because of the minimum of 0.1 Hz for mod amounts, this may be too much offset in the lower notes. You could move the unison tuning point to be at C-6 instead, and get a little bit less, then have just some detuning above there.
stefanovic

Post by stefanovic »

1) Osc 2 Modulation by Note - the smallest amount of modulation for pitch that you can set is 0.1, so I dialed that in as a -0.1 to the pitch of Osc 2.
2) But that offsets the unison pitch, so I set Osc 2 Fine’s tuning to +27
That's exactly the values I came up with. Except, I added a "MaxVal" control in the hope of refining the -0.1 minimum value of the modulation, but again I'm not sure this a correct way of doing it.
You could move the unison tuning point to be at C-6 instead, and get a little bit less, then have just some detuning above there.
Yes, this is the adjustment that we can make to get usable sounds in the bass range. I'm not caring that much about the higher range atm.

Thanks!