video from Messe 2010

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

video from Messe 2010

Post by John Bowen »

Hi everyone!
I'm having a fun time showing off some of the new features of the Solaris that were completed just a day before Messe, and Nick Batt from Sonic State came by the first day of the show to catch up on Solaris developments. If you'd like to see the latest on the Solaris, please head to the following link: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/03/ ... -on-video/

cheers,
John B.
3rdConstruction

Post by 3rdConstruction »

Hurrah! New video! Solaris is sounding great, I LOVE the new formant filters, and the humungo ribbon is FANTASTIC! Waa-HOOO!!!
... speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

3rdConstruction wrote:Hurrah! ....and the humungo ribbon...
Please note that I erroneously state the ribbon length in this video as "175 mm" (blame on no sleep the night before/trade show setup fatigue). The previous design was about 175 mm - this one is 750 mm!!

-john b.
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

1. It's great to see the new and longer ribbon controller!

2. I love the chord mode. It was a cool feature on the Andromeda I sold.

3. I also applaud the addition of the vocal filter!

Great work John and Solaris team! I really can't wait until June. I've been performing live with my band Haiku Chi and the sound of Solaris will take our sound to another level!
tinhu

Post by tinhu »

:D :lol:
"switched on bach"
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

matocaster wrote: I've been performing live with my band Haiku Chi and the sound of Solaris will take our sound to another level!
oh great....now I have the song "music sex" going over and over in my head. :shock:
Love the poster for the lounge, it reminds me of a video Oingo Boingo did from the movie Danny's brother made. :lol:
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

This video is the best so far John. It's nice to see the excitement and enthusiasm you are expressing as you demonstrate Solaris. It's like a big weight has been lifted off your shoulders.
Love the Obie patch and the ribbon is killer. It's one of the things I love about my Andromeda, especially the hold function. It's one of the things I miss on the Voyager pad, sometimes you find that sweet spot and would like to take your finger off the pad and use the mod/pitch wheels while keeping the held sound.
Great job John and Solaris team.
I'm really getting excited now and it looks like my 63rd birthday will be one very special birthday.

Wife and I were talking last weekend how you mother's spirit lives on in Solaris and I will always honor and cherish that. :D
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Voyager? Andromeda? Hey Seamonkey, have you been sneaking into my studio?????

LOVE LOVE LUUURVVE the new ribbon- had no idea that this would happen, it is one of my favorite things on the A6 and allows you to get "really physical" with playing the synth. I agree the current prototype looks a bit ugly- may I suggest making the ribbon fairly dark, and perhaps minimizing (or even eliminating) any markings on it? Maybe just some subtle "fret marks" on the synth itself, and leave the ribbon plain?

First time I have seen the colored wheels. Might have to add that to my preorder. Love that it is controllable, my Voyager has the red "Fire" wheels which look great in the dark, I never did like the harsh blue.

Oh yeah, the controllable vocal filter- that is going to be fun. I assume it will be controllable from the ribbon and wheels (simultaneously even?) also? And while we're at it, maybe we can see some other filters in the future, like perhaps CS-80/GX-1 style filters?
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Now we're talkin'.
This is what live performers as well as control freaks in a studio NEED.
It's beautiful.
I must say I was loosing interest because of the lack of control features, but the Ribbon has caused incredible excitement.
Chord Mode was actually at the intro of Punk Jazz on the Mr.Gone LP, well that's the instance that comes to mind when I think of JoeyZ's use of it.

You have honed in your video skills too JB.
Your love and pride shine through and your chops are even better on this vid as well.

I really need to start a Prog rock original group now. I can't use such a fine synth for Yes and ELP covers. I shall be broke but happy.
I can't even begin to write about the excitement I am feeling, and I am so happy for you too Boss.

This is Fuckin' Historical.....................END OF STORY.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

Awesome! The Formant filters are a load of fun! I totally agree with you about the colour of the ribbon, John. Maybe get it to be the same colour as the joystick and/or knobs. I doubt there's anything prettier than this synth at the Musikmesse. Is it me or does the Solaris sound beefier on this video too? Did last minute additions to the synth include steroids, John? It certainly sounds like a bigger monster. Maybe the Sonic State guys upgraded their gear. I can't tell. Nicely done, though. I'm grinning and shaking my head. WOW!!
tmoravan

Post by tmoravan »

So what color will the ribbon be for those folks that ordered the white casing? (or has the white option gone away?)

Very dark might still look nice as a contrast - have to see it first though.
sjones

Post by sjones »

Was it easy to access the dip switches to change the wheel colors? If it were a production deal it would have been neat to have software control for that .. but there are far more pressing issues :)

I like the new features a lot and glad to see the unison glide trick is there.
The Prophet '08 doesn't do that.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

It would be cool to have the wheels neon option backlighting the ribbon.
I've seen too many Modded PC's from my sons friends... :wink:
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

tmoravan wrote:So what color will the ribbon be for those folks that ordered the white casing? (or has the white option gone away?)
Very dark might still look nice as a contrast - have to see it first though.
No, the white option has not gone away. I was thinking to have a contrast - and we can try it out - but I'm tending to think that I'd rather have a lighter color for the white surface. The ones we had made used the same background color with the graphic pattern in the 2 colors we are using for the cases. The background color was taken from the same color as that which is surrounding the alpha knob and joystick. For the darker case, I just don't think it looks so nice.
-john b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

scope4live wrote:It would be cool to have the wheels neon option backlighting the ribbon.
I've seen too many Modded PC's from my sons friends... :wink:
Jimmy, no can do. The ribbon is attached to the surface of the panel - there's no hole underneath.
-john b.