Preset request - BOC ROYGBIV

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
bgarlow

Preset request - BOC ROYGBIV

Post by bgarlow »

Hello,

For one of my first preset attempts, I thought I'd try to recreate the bass line sound from Boards of Canada's ROYGBIV. I've got it pretty close (nailed the oscillator tuning and LFO pitch drift), but there's something not quite right. My patch is lacking some of the punch on the attack portion of the amp envelope (or maybe it's the filter envelope and that's why I have it wrong), and mine is lacking some of the "juicy" characteristics of the original. Pretty sure I don't have the unison/voice settings right either. Here's a link to the track on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwkOhdE60w. From my Google research, it seems that people think it's an SH101, and I read that on the Internet so it must be true :wink: . Anyone up for a challenge?

Cheers,
Brent
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Preset request - BOC ROYGBIV

Post by John Bowen »

Brent,
Because the SH101 allows separate mix levels of each of it’s wave shapes (saw, pulse, and sub-octave), you may want to use 3 Solaris oscs that are ‘locked’ together (key sync to phase), with one each for ability to mix it. The Saw wave is louder than the pulse (which has some mild PW mod going on), and the sub-octave sine sounds pretty even with the saw.
Obviously, use Mono PlayMode with a little bit of glide as well....there’s some ‘noise’ or something maybe slightly overdriven in the sound also....maybe a tiny bit of pink noise in the mixer, or try filter cutoff mod by noise (very small amount). Set Boost to somewhere above 60....
john b.
bgarlow

Re: Preset request - BOC ROYGBIV

Post by bgarlow »

Wow, thanks! I'll give that a shot when I get some downtime this week. Cheers.

-Brent

Thanks for the the tip, John. I was able to get really close based on your suggestion and Googling a bit more to understand the SH101 architecture. I think the only difference at this point is external effects on the recording. Ended up with nice punchy bass sound. I will post it when I have a few other presets done.

Cheers,
Brent