Closed:Pitch stays higher after touching the Pitch Bend

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Tiitu

Closed:Pitch stays higher after touching the Pitch Bend

Post by Tiitu »

Hello,

I'm a new owner of the Solaris. And, I'm so happy with its simply marvellous sounds even in comparison to Matrix-12! 8)

BUT, I noticed one problem, or is it a problem: Namely, when even very little moving the Pitch Bend, the pitch immediately jumps AND STAYS half a note higher than it should be, as long as the Solaris is on. The pitch resets when switching off and on, but the same happens every time and effectively makes it impossible for me to use the pitch bend at all, because if I do, then Solaris is out of tune in comparison to any other instruments.

Why is this happening? Should I reset something? Please help. :?

Tiitu
sjones

Re: Pitch stays higher after touching the Pitch Bend

Post by sjones »

Check out page #59 of the manual. You can calibrate the analogue controls by pressing 1, 8 and 3 simultaneously,
then pressing 4 and following the instructions on the main screen. Use the 'exit' button to leave the Self Test Menu.

There are quite a few calibration and testing functions. My favourite activity so far is Buttons + LEDs. You gotta try it!

Also, be sure that you complete a calibration once you start it or you may run into problems with those controls.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, I was going to say you might want to try recalibrating the wheels (under #4 Analog Controls). The calibration routine will make you go through the Mod Wheel settings first, then the Pitch Wheel. Of course, they are supposed to be calibrated from the factory, but I’ve had a few who said they needed to recalibrate these.
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

Thanks, I'll do this. :)
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

... Now, the wheels work as they should, but somehow the Selftest 1.) Wheels never shows "Passed". I tried the other tests too and they passed (at least as much as I could try).

Regarding to the Wheels test, the logic is upside down, in my opinion, when the test says "Please move modwheel to MAX POSITION" and the "POSITION" shows around 190, when you have moved the wheel all way up. And, at the second stage it asks you to move the modwheel to MIN POSITION and the "POSITION" is around 434, when you have moved the wheel all way down. (I.e., the MIN POSITION value is larger than the MAX POSITION.) For the Pitch wheel the same values are around 182 and 434, and, again, the minimum is higher than maximum. If you would follow the other logic, the wheels don't work correctly.

I.e., I have NOT been able to make this test to display that it passed, although both wheels work now alright. Should I maybe update the firmware?

An extra question regarding to the Mod Wheel: Is the "normal" position up (i.e. away from the player) or down (i.e. nearest to the player)? Now, I have kept it down, when not used.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, this is correct! I also felt that way (that it was reversed) when I first calibrated the synth, but this is the way the engineers have it set up. It has to do with the way they measure the internal hardware settings. This is also true for the ribbon control calibration.

You are correct also that the Max position is moving the wheel forward (away from the player), and the Min is down (nearest to the player). The numbers just are inverted.

I do not know why you are not seeing the word ‘Passed’ once you are done. Are you pressing Enter at the end of the pitch wheel calibration? (I’m sure you are actually....) I don’t think you would need to update the firmware, as there has been no update for a while.

john b.