Your views on the overall feel?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

francois

Your views on the overall feel?

Post by francois »

As I had not been able to see one in real life before getting mine, it was with great anticipation that I opened the packaging because pictures of the design could not convey the actual quality of the components used.

Regardless of the aspects of sonic output and strength of the engine, I must say that I am quite happy with the overall quality look and feel of the Solaris. The satin finish of the paint is very good, quite resistant to finger marks. The buttons, switches, wheel, joystick... give an excellent tactile sensation. The case is very well assembled, not weird gaps or misalignments. The keyboard action, I also find excellent. Quite springy, but not too much and quality plastic for the keys.

Overall, you get the impression that you are in front of a premium synth.

Top notch!
"Sit Solaris vobiscum"
ScofieldKid

Re: Your views on the overall feel?

Post by ScofieldKid »

Oh yes. The ribbon is quite good. The mod wheels turned out very good. And aftertouch on the keyboard is a great thing. Selector buttons are high quality as well.

They are doing a good job putting these together. A+
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

I agree... Although the plastic or "glass" that covers the center screen is not seated right and moves when you touch it. That really bothers me. It's the only thing besides the indent on the left most side of the ribbon where they had to drill a hole for the connections. A hard plastic border (like on the Andromeda) would have allowed for that to be completely hidden. Just cosmetic, but when you're waiting 4+ years, your expectations tend to be pretty high ;) But the sound that this machine offers exceeds my highest expectations which, until know, I thought would be impossible.!
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Well I love the controllers, and can do bi directional stuff while sustaining notes, pretty cool.
But I also am a big fan of the Scope Modular DSP synth in my XITE-1, and using Solaris Joystick with their virtual joystick I am getting some incredibly FAT BASTARDS.
I basically have a Waldorf Wavetable preset full of motion, ribbon controls the shapes of the Oscillators and one is slighty set for pitch, then the Mod Wheel brings in the Scope Modular using CEN Saw Oscillators and a Square Width Flexor III Oscillator, and if that isn;t enough the Quad Filter is attached to the joystick so I can keep the Waldorfs full of motion and Modular does the Analogish stuff.
It's the most incedible sounding stuff I have ever played.
I used to have a Matrix with the XPander and it was FAT but not as versatile as Solaris + Modular.
I still haven't figured out how to use the Ribbons to send MIDI Out, that would be the icing on the cake....
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Jimmy,

The ribbon does not send out MIDI.

john b.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Mi Estas Matondo Pinchy Way............
No problemo, chance favors the prepared mind.
My 3 zone Kurweil MIDI controller can be added so I can have 5 Ribbon zones, 3 x that send and recieve MIDI, and 2 x that fear life outside of Solaris.....

Ankyu.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
sven hauck

Post by sven hauck »

Just wondering, has anyone had any issues with the rotary encoders?
matocaster

Post by matocaster »

sven hauck wrote:Just wondering, has anyone had any issues with the rotary encoders?
The rotary encoders have been just fine, but the volume pot is wobbly on mine. Also, the sound doesn't gradually get quiet until no sound, it just cuts off at around 8 o'clock.
Everyone knows me as a guitar player!
sven hauck

Post by sven hauck »

I've got a few wobbly encoders. Well, a bit more than a few. Plus the turning resistance seems quite low, so when I bump into an encoder it changes the value.

For the wobbly encoder issue and the turning resistance issue, I compared the action to an AKAI APC40 and an Access Virus TI Desktop, and both didn't have either of the two problems.

Never fear, though, as I believe that John is aware. It could be that the tolerance from the encoder manufacturer is off.

The buttons and mod wheels are fine, but the joystick seems a bit flimsy.
serena-5

Post by serena-5 »

Overall, I love the feel of this synth...it definitely gives the impression of a fine crafted instrument (ala Moog Voyager or Virus TI). My pitch/mod wheels are very stable, with no lateral play whatsoever. ..all the pots seem very stable, with little lateral play as well...the key feel is exactly like the Virus TI (in other words, top notch). The wood end blocks are really nicer than expected, although I am going to change them out for light cherry wood ends in the future (even here, small Allen-type screws are used, rather than ugly slotted or Phillips-type).
To sum it up, this is a first rate build on this synth, IMHO...
sven hauck

Post by sven hauck »

What's your serial number?
serena-5

Post by serena-5 »

...#0038…white case, w/blue pitch/mod wheels...
sven hauck

Post by sven hauck »

Hmmm, mine is #0022. It is likely that the manufacturing process improved with each unit built, therefore later units have less issues. :?

One encoder is so wobbly, I fear that it will get looser over time.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Sven,

as we’ve discussed privately, we can swap out the front panel boards if this becomes an issue. I’ve not heard from anyone else about wobbly encoders yet, so, hopefully this is just an isolated case.

John B.
sven hauck

Post by sven hauck »

Hi John,

If you haven't heard from anyone else it certainly seems like an isolated case, which is great.

I just wanted to avoid the shipping to and fro and having to crack the case open to get Sonic Core to exchange some hardware parts.

Thank you for your support, though. That has never been an issue.

Sven