Automating the Solaris using cubase?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

scope4live

Re: Automating the Solaris using cubase?

Post by scope4live »

I have a blast using Reaper and Bidule. Automation overdubs in realtime are incredibly fun.
Switching back and forth using MIDI PrgmChng messages is even smoother than the live punch in method I am accustomed to.
One could just go to Reapers website and download the free JD Plug Ins which have 3 awesome MIDI Plug Ins I cannot find in all of the hardware and software solutions I currently use.
Try them in Cubase and see if they help.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Neil

Post by Neil »

Yes John, I will bring all this up with Steinberg - hopefully they have (or will work on) a solution, as for my part I'm a musician not a binary/hexidecimal entity and although I understand very well the need for NRPN's all this code talk is entirely alien to me.
Have you seen the soundtower plugin for the Moog Voyager? It acts as a seamless librarian/editor/automator which would be the other way to go - maybe it's worth contacting them to write such a plugin for Solaris? Non Cubase users would still benefit from the slick librarian, also it would be available to Mac & PC users unlike the renaming app currently offered.
It should also be noted that Cubase 5 is now around 6years old which is a millennium in tech terms is it not? Therefore any support from Steinberg would not be available to my fellow sufferer! Cubase 7 is on another planet compared to 5.
Neil

Post by Neil »

So I've contacted Steinberg - let's see what they say.... Also I see Reaper is Windows only so that's unfortunately of no help to me.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

These folks might beg to differ about Reapers Mac/compatability...

Neil

Post by Neil »

Ah you were quicker than I - was just about to correct myself.... Apologies Reaper!
But in my part of the world Cubase sessions are the norm when compatibility is an issue - or it Protools...
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Neil wrote:...Have you seen the soundtower plugin for the Moog Voyager? It acts as a seamless librarian/editor/automator which would be the other way to go - maybe it's worth contacting them to write such a plugin for Solaris?
No, I have not seen it, but will check it.

John b.
Neil

Post by Neil »

This thread about NRPN in the Reaper forum is very interesting (yet complex) some very knowledgable users imply only one parameter can be automated at a time using NRPN...... :(
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php? ... light=NRPN

Reading all this IReally feel we need the Soundtower plugin. Meanwhile I will use the Oberheim Xpander before my brain implodes!

Ps still waiting for a solution from Steinberg.
Neil

Post by Neil »

If you have an iPad and the Lemur app then maybe this NRPN template can be the start of a Solaris automator?

http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/192/
Neil

Post by Neil »

FYI the initial response from Steinberg is that NRPN's "Are a nightmare" !
But they are looking into the matter to see what can be done.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

The thread at cockos (sounds like a Cereal to promote organ growth) had 3 knowledgable chaps with Reaper explaining the functions in good detail.
I really like using Bidule as a host by itself, but as a VST sub host inside of a DAW it might be very useful.
What's good about Reaper and Bidule, is you can dl. both for 90 days and see how they work.
Then if it is a viable solution both can be had for under 150 USD free from the slavery of iLok products.

Nice link. 8)

auricle

Post by auricle »

I checked several DAWs regarding their NRPN capabilities and it seems that Sonar is the only one that handles NRPN parameters with any elegance. ALL others need to be manually created in the event list. Studio One doesn't even have an event list so it would be even more difficult.

I think a dedicated editor like SoundTower might be the past way to go - or if someone could create a template for ctrlr that would be wonderful. I'll see how doable it is.
auricle

Post by auricle »

Guys, I'm going to have a go at designing a ctrlr panel for the Solaris. It won't be pretty but I'm hoping it will be functional and at least allow us to control our favourite synth from within our favourite DAW.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ahh very good Sir!
chowderdoof

Post by chowderdoof »

Im a little late to the party but still lots of interesting info here!

I havent tried experimenting myself but its been a few years since any posts here Im and wondering if Cubase updates now play better with NRPNs or if anybody has found any workarounds, solution or tips to Cubase automation with the Solaris?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Everyone - just a note to let you know that the Solaris won’t be fully controllable via NRPN until we make the next update. Turns out the guy who did the coding for it way back never fully implemented ALL of the parameters, so we have to get that changed! But this is underway....