v1.3.1 OS Upgrade released!

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

v1.3.1 OS Upgrade released!

Post by John Bowen »

As happy I was to finally have a major bug fix release with v1.3.0 on March 15th, I am really excited to announce our first major OS "feature upgrade" in quite a while - v1.3.1 is released today!

There's a number of new features added with v1.3.1 OS:
  • Joystick position is now stored in the preset.
  • Assign buttons and Unison Chord stack now stored with the Preset.
  • A Random Tune parameter both in a preset and at the global level. This works per voice, and only affects the whole voice’s tuning.
  • Preset names and categories of the current bank are now loaded into a memory cache, making selection and viewing of them faster. *
  • New MIDI Realtime on/off in the global MIDI page to send/receive Start/Stop commands. (see details below).
  • Ribbon now outputs MIDI controller on CC18 & CC19 (see details below).
  • Solaris remembers the last presets selected when you turn it off, so it will resume where you were.
  • Global override parameters added for Sustain and Expression Pedals.
  • Changed the Mod Source listing of Ped1 and Ped2 to "ExpPed and "SusPed" to make it more clear.
  • In Preset list mode, each page now starts from a multiple of 10. (e.g. 0, 10, 20, 30, etc).
  • The ribbon Offset parameter now works differently. It adjusts the "neutral" point from the left end to the right end of the ribbon (see details below).
  • FX Bypass now does not alter the on/off state of the Preset’s effects parameters, but truly bypasses the FX bus, and stays bypassed when selecting through presets or using the Compare feature.
  • Solaris now responds to MIDI CC4, foot controller.
  • All remaining system bugs fixed. These include numerous display-related issues (parameters not being refreshed, wrong pages appearing where they shouldn’t, etc..)

*Regarding cached preset names and categories - On the categories, selecting a new bank takes a bit of time if the category filter is on. Also, just turning on the filter (not selecting a new bank) can cause a delay of up to two seconds depending on how many of the bank's names have been cached so far.

Realtime - Sync to Start
There is a new global parameter in the MIDI section (new page 2) called Realtime. When this is enabled the Realtime messages Start and Stop are recognized and sent. When Realtime is enabled and the clock is external, the arpeggiator or sequencer will not start working until a MIDI Start message is received. When it is received, the next incoming MIDI clock defines where the clock division so that they are synced with the sending device. When the Stop message is received, the arpeggiator and sequencer will stop.

When Realtime is enabled and the clock is set to Send (internal) and the arpeggiator and/or sequencer is on, then a Start message will be sent each time the first key is pressed. The next clock will be a clock division. A MIDI Stop message will be sent when the arpeggiator and/or sequencer are turned off.

Ribbon over MIDI
Due to the high resolution of the ribbon, when outputting MIDI I used both MSB and LSB controller values. The controller values are:
Ribbon 1 MSB: 18
Ribbon 1 LSB: 50
Ribbon 2 MSB: 19
Ribbon 2 LSB: 51

The range of the MSB is 0 to 127 where 64 is zero, that is the neutral point. Note that when a MIDI ResetControllers message is received, this resets the ribbon to MIDI 64. The LSB uses only the highest two bits for a total of nine bits. And so the full range is 0 to +511

New Ribbon Behavior

The Offset parameter now has no effect when the ribbon is not being touched. Instead it now moves what I call the "neutral" point---the place where you touch the ribbon and there's no change. Normally the neutral point is at the leftmost end. This is the case when Offset is set to 0%. When Offset is set to 50%, the neutral point is in the middle. Touching the middle of the ribbon has no effect, touching to the left of the neutral point produces negative values and touching to the right produces positive values. When the offset is set to 100%, the neutral point is at the rightmost end and touching anywhere produces negative values.

Download and Installation

As before, to install v1.3.1, please copy this file into your OS folder on your Solaris CF card, and delete the old file there named 'solaris.raw'. Then rename the new file the same - 'solarisos.raw'. For easiest installation, open the text file there called 'doFlash.txt', and change the 0 to 1. Close this file, and eject your CF card properly (otherwise, you may cause an error on the card). With power off, insert the CF card into your Solaris, and turn on. You will see after some seconds that the Load FLASH routine starts, and gives an indication of the progress. Once it is done, you will see the message to reboot the synth.

If you don’t want to edit the ‘doFlash’ file, just hold down the Enter button after you boot up with the card inserted - you will then see the Flash OS menu.

And that is it!

You can make sure of the installed version by looking on page 4 of the Home pages.

I am truly indebted to Jim, who continued to work on the remaining bug list right after the v1.3.0 in March, and managed not only to fix all the remaining system bugs since then, but add a number of features that have been requested for some time!

A BIG THANK YOU to Jim Hewes!
solarisos_v1.3.1.raw.zip
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 785 times
synth80s

Re: v1.3.1 OS Upgrade released!

Post by synth80s »

Thank you, John and Jim, especially for dropping this on a Saturday night when I have time to tinker! :)

I just installed 1.3.1 and immediately beelined to the tuning randomization. It really sounds natural and adds another subtle dimension to the power of this incredible instrument. I'm digging it in the 12-15 range.
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

Thanks, thanks and thanks...
Do you plan such amazing free updates every 2 months ? ;)
Analog 80

Post by Analog 80 »

Thanks again and again !!! Solaris better than ever !!!
NeoProg

Post by NeoProg »

There is only one word for this. AMAZING. Do I love the random tuning? YES. Also the programmable joystick and the other updates will make the Solaris so much more user friendly.
Great work John and Jim. :)
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

Thank you so so much :-)
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Could somebody post a screenshot/PS of the Solaris Home Page 4 view showing what the new OS Install looks like?
I have done this several time using 3 x different cards and see 1.2, not 1.3.

Feverish to get the Ribbon sending MIDI, a most welcome upgrade that I also wish to donate my appreciation to whoever worked on this.

Ankyu

Screenshot for all CF Cards
https://ibb.co/cawdrQ
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
F5D

Post by F5D »

Thank you very much, will test this soon! :)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

scope4live wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 5:24 am Could somebody post a screenshot/PS of the Solaris Home Page 4 view showing what the new OS Install looks like?
I have done this several time using 3 x different cards and see 1.2, not 1.3.
Jimmy,

Make sure that you have deleted the old solarisos.raw file, which is in your OS folder on your CF card. Rename the downloaded v1.3.1 as solarisos.raw, and drop it into the OS folder on your card. Insert the cf card into the Solaris, then turn it on, and hold down the Enter button right after turning on the power. After a short moment you should see a Flash OS screen with 3 choices - pick #1. Following that, you should see a report as to the progress of the flashing of the OS, and when it’s done, it will tell you to reboot the Solaris. That’s all you need to do.

Cheers,
John
sonix

Post by sonix »

Hello John!

I flahsed OS1.3.1 and since that the Solaris seems to hang in an endless-booting-loop
I DID NOT FLASH OS1.3.0 BEFORE! Was that the mistake?

Following what i have done:
  • I copied the "solarisos_v1.3.1.raw.zip" file to the CF-card and renamed it to "solarisos.raw".
    I also set the counter in doFlash.txt from "0" to "1".
  • I put the card into the Solaris and switched on.
  • Flashing started automatically and ended with the message
    "OS flash successful
    Please reboot ..."
  • I turned the Solaris off and after some seconds on.
  • Now the Solaris hangs in the booting process.
When I switch the Solaris on, in the 5 smaller LCD's immediately the message "booting ..." appears. After 1 or 2 seconds the large LCD shows the message in the screenshot bellow.

I also tried to start the Solaris with the option 3 in the boot menu (normal start) , but no reaction when i press the key "3".
Sorry for my english!

https://ibb.co/nRtBBQ
https://ibb.co/nAgyrQ
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I hope you first unzipped the file. Zip files are compressed, so you need to unzip it first. The resulting file should be named solarisos_v1.3.1.raw. Then you change the name to solarisos.raw.

Please verify you did uncompress the zip file. If you did not, please repeat the install process with the uncompressed and renamed file.
sonix

Post by sonix »

oooh, shame on me, i didn't unzip the file :oops:
Wonderful, flashing OS1.3.1 still worked even i made such a big failure!
THANKS A LOT!!!
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I still see 1.2 in Home page 4.
I have changed 0 to 1 in DoFlash text several times no go.
Have booted with enter button down and the number 1 does not boot, it does nothing.
#2 and #3 do go to calibration and normal start but #1 is frozen.
I always unzip files, also have done this before and had no problems.
I have tried both cards, I had 3 cards, the original Solaris card took a dump so I bought a sans disk and dane elec, each 8GBs.
I deleted my samples and started from scratch on both cards, same problems.

I just ordered another 8 GB card and will start fresh from scratch again.
I also have a Bay mounted USB 3 type C / Card reader interface and mu old USB 2 card reader.
They function well as I use cards for storage and charging phones, old Samplers, etc.

I think maybe corruption somewhere occured and I am carrying it over.

A fresh install and new card might be whats needed.
But I'd still like to see a screenshot from someone with success on this.
I keep seeing 1.2 and boot page says firmware 1.0 still.

Thanks

scope4live

Post by scope4live »

JB could I send you my new Card and you load everything up for me?
I would also include a pre paid return package inside so wouldn't need to spend money or make a trip.

That's the only way I can see to track down my problem.

PM me if need be.

sonix

Post by sonix »

@scope4live

Here is a screenshot after flashing 1.3.1:
https://ibb.co/bL1qqk

I think, if #1 key does not react, the file cannot be found.
Maybe you copied the unzipped-folder instead the file in the unzipped-folder to your CF-card?