v1.3.1 OS Upgrade released!

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

discocubist

Re: v1.3.1 OS Upgrade released!

Post by discocubist »

Massive props to Jim and John for this - squashing all outstanding bugs in one release is a major undertaking, but dropping a load of new features is something else, so thanks so much guys!

The love affair continues ;)
NeoProg

Post by NeoProg »

scope4live, I had the exact same problem. After 3 attempts to install the new OS I figured that the downloaded files were corrupted. So I then deleted the files I first downloaded and then downloaded it again. Then did everything all over again per JB's instructions and this time it worked right away. Good luck.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Not my first rodeo though.
Done this twice before, load several custom Cello, Vocal, Pipes, etc.
No siree, I've even spent an hour wiping the cards with Acronis DoD encryption.
Tried 2 x different card readers, 2 x different cards.

I'm far from upset. Whenever something like this happens I actually enjoy troubleshooting.
I'm just feverish to have a Ribbon controller for Zebra2HZ & Omnisphere, even blend Solaris with soft synths.
Was a week away from buying the Doepfer to replace my 20 year old Expression Mate triple zone.

I'm chill in' like a villain now..
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

I don't have a definite solution for you. But I wanted to suggest trying to update to version 1.3.0 and see if that's any different.

If you've updated the firmware before then I'd hate to point out the simple things because you probably already know. But when using the method of modifying the doFlash.txt file there aren't that many things that can go wrong...I mean if it isn't at least trying to load. You have to have the right filenames and have them in the OS folder. The doFlash.txt file has to have a text character "1" as the first character in the file. Of course it has to be able to open the files, but if you can read preset files now then that shouldn't be an issue.
Solaris #249
C-Real

Post by C-Real »

A-MA-ZING !!!!!
Again, a really big thank to John Bowen to have given life to this beast !!

A big big big thank you to Jim Hewes, for having allowed her to become an adult !!! :-))
wsequeira

Post by wsequeira »

Thank you!
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I've tried 3 different zip apps, 2 x different cards, 2 x different readers.
Copied files, unzipped files, now I'm starting to think my machine might be the issue.

How about I send you a new CF Card, and a free lunch, and a self addressed postage paid return folder.
I'll stick in Solaris and that should be the last link in troubleshooting.

pm me if you agree to help my suffering end.....

christeck

Post by christeck »

Frankly, I always desired and never expected any OS updates. The more I'm impressed that two updates were released within a couple of weeks. And it's not only minor annoyances being fixed but new features being implemented. Thanks John and Jim for the efforts.

BTW: Update went fine even using a rather dated Mac thanks to the simple CF card copy and paste approach. Like it.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I will bribe anyone who will load my CF Card test it out and send it back to me via pre paid postage.
I now will pay 20 bucks instead of 10.
PM Me....

Ankyu

sonix

Post by sonix »

I own an Solaris with detented encoders. For me it's now really a pleasure how these works - even the acceleration has an influence!!! And this is only one point from so many other!
THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH JIM HEWES AND JOHN
F5D

Post by F5D »

Just installed the update, so far working nicely! Browsing through preset names is much quicker now with the new method, nice that this feature made it already to this update! I found the RndTune setting on home page 3/4. I assume this is the global parameter, because it says "global" in it, before starting to set the value. However, where can I access the preset level random tune value? The description says that this works both at global and on preset level.

Thanks again for the update! With this update, the Solaris feels like a finished product, software quality inline with the hardware. I hope many potential customers notice this. John, I think you should highlight the new OS version on your website too, possibly in the banner as well as in the news! :)
Last edited by F5D on Sun May 21, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

The RndTune setting on Home page 3/4 is the preset level setting. When this is set to "Global" it means that the preset defers to whatever the global setting is. The global setting is on System page 1/1. So the global setting doesn't override the preset setting. (And no, the setting on the Home page should not affect all presets.)

I think the intention is that if the preset designer felt that the random tuning is an important part of the character of the preset they're designing, they will set the parameter on Home page 3/4. If not they will just leave it at the default of "Global".

This is the opposite behavior of, for example, the pedals which also have global settings. In the case of the pedals, the global setting can override the preset setting. Which it will unless it's set to "Preset".

I guess the question of whether RndTune Preset/Global should work like it does or whether it should work like the pedals will be argued by philosophers for many centuries to come.
Solaris #249
F5D

Post by F5D »

Thank you minorguy for the explanation. I think it is logical to implement it like this. It is imo the most important to have the value for presets, but the global value could be useful, if one wants to add more randomness to all sounds, also those programmed by others. It is highly possible that I got mistaken by the page 3/4 setting affecting also some other preset, because I tested this only very quickly. I will test both settings again tomorrow.
F5D

Post by F5D »

I can confirm that the random tune works exactly as minorguy (Jim) explained. The parameter value in the home page 3/4 gets saved with the preset and does not affect other sounds (as I initially thought, mistakenly). I already saved new versions of some of my sounds with the RndTune on page 3/4 in use. I like the scaling of this function. Thank you for not making it too aggressive! You can quite safely increase it up to 10 in most cases without causing audible out of tune effects. Above 10, the effect starts to come more obvious, especially above 15. I am now using range 7-13 with my sounds. That is combined with my own low frequency "slop", for which I use mixer 4 with LFOs, noise etc. Thanks again Jim for your efforts building this new OS!
gundorf

Post by gundorf »

Little tip:
I use my akai mpc 1000 as CF card reader. It works just perfectly to update my solaris os !
thanks agin for improvements !!

everything seems faster with this 1.31 update.
really nice work !!!!
thank you.
in france we have "jules et jim" from françois truffaut.
but GO go go to "John and Jim !!" :D