Announcing new Operating System, v1.4.0!

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

Announcing new Operating System, v1.4.0!

Post by John Bowen »

Just in time for Christmas, I am really happy to announce another major OS update to cap off 2017 - v1.4.0.2 is released.
(If you downloaded v1.4.0 or 1.4.0.1, please replace with the updated file, below.)

Here's the new features added with v1.4.0 OS:

1) A reworking of the voice handler for significantly better performance.

2) All parameter communication has been completed to work as SysEx commands. NRPNs are no longer supported (and were never fully implemented previously anyway). A complete SysEx implementation document is available online in the User Guides section.

3) A "Poly Chain" mode has been added, so you can have multiple units slaved together for increased polyphony (i.e., 20 notes from 2 units).

4) Added the new parameter “LoadSamp” on the System page 1/2. When enabled, the Solaris will automatically load the first sample pool on bootup.

5) The following parameters were moved from the Home page 3/4 to the System page 2/2: VTIntensity, VTOffset, ATIntensity, ATOffset. Renamed some of the labels for the pedal parameters. Renamed VTIntens and ATIntens to VTCurve and ATCurve (because response curves are what they actually are).

6) The following parameters are now saved to the global init file: Polychain, VTCurve, VTOffset, ATCurve, ATOffset. This means they are no longer stored per preset.

7) Improved display and editing of time values above 1 second.

8 ) Since EG6 controls the overall shape of the sound, the Solaris now boots up with EG 6 selected.

9) After samples are loaded, the wave number is always reset to 1 in the Oscillator Wave display.

10) An extra parameter was added for the Osc modulation amount parameter when the destination is LinFM. This separated it from the amount parameter for Shape. Older presets will sound correct IF the destination is set to Shape. However, if the the preset uses destination LinFM, when the preset is loaded by an older OS the sound will not be the same because the Osc modulation amount will not be correct. Also note there is no way to make such a preset backward compatible by setting the Shape amount because the ranges for the two amount parameters are different.

11) Parameters for setting the MIDI Device ID and transmitting the current preset buffer added (important for Poly Chain mode).

12) Improved encoder acceleration for the following parameters: LFO rate, EQ frequency, Phaser Offset, Oscillator and Rotor NoTrack frequency.

Again, I want to thank Jim Hewes ('minorguy' in the Forum) for all the arduous work he did to get SysEx fully working! With over 1250 preset parameters (and numerous additional front panel controls) completed, a major block in writing complete proper software editors for the Solaris has been removed. While I understand that some DAW software (such as Studio One or Cubase) still have issues recording SysEx, the only other option would be to assign a selection of the 1250 parameters to available CC numbers. We will investigate this for a future OS release, and would appreciate feedback as to how owners end up using the new SysEx implementation.

Also note: the User Guide has not been fully updated yet, but should be ready soon.

(Don’t forget to rename the file to solarisos.raw after downloading and uncompressing)
Attachments
solarisos_v1.4.0.2.raw.zip
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 854 times
scope4live

Re: Announcing another major update to the Solaris Operating System, v1.4.0!

Post by scope4live »

Scope 7 now Solaris...again.
Never doubted the 2 were meant to be.

Thanks JB.
Thanks Minorguy
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
nachtsmeer

Post by nachtsmeer »

Many MANY Thanks to Jim and John for all the hard work you've done on Solaris. It is very much appreciated and makes Solaris even more OUTSTANDING than before.

To echo the sentiments of my favourite comedian Spike Milligan
"Love, Light and Peace"
Paul
poupouye

Post by poupouye »

Many thanks both of you for this great improvement

It's a real christmas gift !! :)

Jean-Pascal
christeck

Post by christeck »

Thank you so much. Installation was staightforward. Will explore it this very eve.
F5D

Post by F5D »

Thank you very much for the update, things are looking good for Solaris!
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

1000 thanks Jim and John for this gift, merry Christmas ! :P
wsequeira

Post by wsequeira »

Thank you Jim, thank you John, thank you John! An amazing Holiday gift. Merry Christmas to both of you! Cheers -- Bill
Tonefloat16

Post by Tonefloat16 »

Thanks for the early Christmas gift John!
Glad to know that Solaris development is still ongoing!
niversen

Post by niversen »

Wow! Thank you! It will go on the Solaris tomorrow! I very much appreciate this effort!
auton

Post by auton »

Excellent news and with the sysex support I am hoping a graphical software editor will not be too far off.

Happy holiday noodling to all.
jgale

Post by jgale »

Excellent update!! My Solaris just keeps getting better and better.

Thank you Jim & John!

John
vargus

Post by vargus »

Amazing news. Can't wait to try out the new SysEx implementation. I'm a big tweaker (or so people say) and I've missed being able to record parameter changes and sweeps and then tweak the data. Hopefully this can be achieved now. As others have said, a great Christmas present indeed. Many thanks.