Solaris Expander Announced

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

Solaris Expander Announced

Post by John Bowen »

Just back from NAMM, and we have some updated news. I will start taking pre-orders for those interested. Final price will be $3499 - black cabinet only, with LCD displays.

You can reserve a unit with a 50% deposit ($1750) via PayPal to sales @johnbowen.com with a note for a Solaris tabletop (TT). As with the keyboard version, a $200 discount will be applied if you make a full prepayment.

Delivery dates are expected to be starting in June.

IMG_7528.png
Octupole

Re: something new?

Post by Octupole »

WOW !!! What a teaser, out of the blue...

A Solaris desktop with the full blown UI - this would certainly be a very intesting product for those who do not yet own a Solaris.

John, can you already disclose more details about hardware and/or OS? Would it contain the same hardware / DSPs as the current keyboard version, or would there be a new version including more recent and powerful DSPs? You mentioned in other threads that a new board version with more powerful DSPs could be envisaged.

Would it contain the same OS as the current keyboard version, or would it enventually contain new developments by Hrast?

Personally, I could envisage trading my Solaris from the very first batch (S/N #83) against a desktop module, provided the latter contained more powerful hardware and an advanced OS.

Thanks for these good news and a lot of success for this endeavor!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

The new version of the main board that I (prematurely) mentioned is still in long-term development. For now we will be using the same hardware as we have had for any current or future product.

Now, regarding the OS...well that is a different situation. :-)
acemonvw

Post by acemonvw »

Joined the group just to follow this - very interesting :D
ECR

Post by ECR »

yes, I would be interested!
Diaperjim

Re: Solaris Expander?

Post by Diaperjim »

Awesome.
Been wanting either this or a rack, depending on feature set.
The Ribbon could be a 3rd party device, same with joystick.
OS permitting of course.
Good Luck @ NAMM
Hein Eken

Post by Hein Eken »

Diaperjim wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm Awesome.
Been wanting either this or a rack, depending on feature set.
Me too ...
Diaperjim wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm The Ribbon could be a 3rd party device,...
Thomann actually blows out the 3-Zone Kurzweil Ribbon for peanuts.
Has the RJ45 network connector though ...
Diaperjim wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm ... same with joystick.
In general,- yes.
Might be all about finding some (desktop-) MIDI controller device offering a joystick (and ideally ribbon in addition)
Diaperjim wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm Good Luck @ NAMM
+1

:)

Hein
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I found the Studiologic SL controllers (73 or 88 keys) which have 3 joysticks. I was hoping to borrow one for the NAMM show, but was too late in contacting them. Chris Martirano said the 3rd joystick should be able to assign to any CC.

I was aware of the Kurzweil ribbon, of course, but we’d need to make a big hardware modification to add the connector and circuitry. As you should know, the Solaris ribbon outputs two ribbon controller signals, and these are mapped to CC18 & 19.
Hein Eken

Post by Hein Eken »

John Bowen wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm
I was aware of the Kurzweil ribbon, of course, but we’d need to make a big hardware modification to add the connector and circuitry. As you should know, the Solaris ribbon outputs two ribbon controller signals, and these are mapped to CC18 & 19.
I´m aware it´s impossible to use "as it is" and own a Kurz PC361 w/ ribbon anyway, which is a great combo to control a Solaris expander device.
The Kurzweil ribbon,- together w/ the PC3 & PC4 OS by nature,- offers 1 full length zone or 3 shorter zones, each one individually assignable to any MIDI CC and offering other goodies individually for each zone.

I´m very interested in the 1HU rackmount, possibly the desktop version too.
For me it´s all about the editing options we´ll have w/ the 1HU "blackbox" Solaris.
What about a SCOPE device for SCOPE users and in addition to VST ?

Are several 1HU or desktop and rackmount version cascadable for more polyphony ?
How will announced 4-part MIDI multimode/multitimbrality work across several (at least 2) units when cascaded ?

Hein
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Are several 1HU or desktop and rackmount version cascadable for more polyphony ?
How will announced 4-part MIDI multimode/multitimbrality work across several (at least 2) units when cascaded ?
Yes, you can cascade several units using Poly Chain mode, and it works the same way with the new Multimode OS.
Diaperjim

Post by Diaperjim »

Polyphony 16 voices, 4 by 4 zone maybe?
Hein Eken

Post by Hein Eken »

Diaperjim wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm Polyphony 16 voices, 4 by 4 zone maybe?
I understood it will be still 10 voices w/ some options like " 4 | 2 | 2 | 2 ", " 4 | 4 | 1 | 1 |" or " 4 | 4 | 2" leaving a unsused/inactive zone etc..
It´s all about each SHARC DSP delivers 2 voices.

Plz correct me if I´m wrong.

Hein
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

Any combination where the number of voices is an even number. So for example, 4+2+2+2 or 4+4+2+0 or 6+4+0+0 or even 2+4+0+0, etc.
You could not do 4+4+1+1.
Solaris #249
Hein Eken

Post by Hein Eken »

minorguy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:45 pm
You could not do 4+4+1+1.
Ahh,- that´s sad ...
2x 4-voice poly and 2x monphonic for bass AND lead were tempting.
It´s a shame wasting a voice when you want a monophonic zone.

How comes only even numbers are possible ?
2x 5-voice poly would be interesting too.

Hein
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Only even voice numbers are possible because each of 5 DSP chips produce 2 voices (the 6th DSP manages the FX and output routing). The parameters for a program are downloaded to the chip when selected, and so each one plays 2 voices with the same settings.

(Technically we could have 5 parts playing two voices each, but I wanted to stay consistent with the Enable Part buttons on the front panel.)