v2.0 OS Released!

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

v2.0 OS Released!

Post by John Bowen »

Greetings Solaris Owners!
I am very happy to announce the release of v2.0 Operating System for the Solaris!

I wanted to post a huge 'Thank You' to Jim Hewes, who has been laboring for almost 4 years on the Solaris OS. Jim has fixed more than 80 bugs, and added at least a dozen of features that I have requested. During this last year, not only did he completely re-work the entire SysEx code (replacing a bare-bones NRPN system) to allow for MIDI access to all of the now over 7300+ parameters (!), but has been working overtime to get a reasonable 4-part Multimode structure working. As many of you know, Jim has never asked for any kind of remuneration for his efforts. I've made some small compensation as I could, and while he has been unemployed during all this time, he has continued to work on the operating system (which ranges from his first release of v1.3 back in March of 2017 until now). I think you will all agree what he has done is managed to save the Solaris from early abandonment to bring it forward as a still viable current instrument. What other hardware synth has been able to do that which came out 10 years ago?

I would also like to thank Hrast for coding the new Phase Mod oscillator type, and Sonic Core for providing the code for the CZ waveshape set. You can view Hrast's work under the name Hrastprogrammer and his wonderful software synth Transiztow: http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrastwerk/index.htm

Therefore, I have decided I will be charging a fixed minimum donation (which will go to Jim, with a percentage to Hrast as well) of $60 or 50 Euros for the v2.0 OS, but if you appreciate Jim's contributions to the Solaris, I hope you will be generous and donate as much as you feel you can. It would be great if we could help him stay unemployed for at least another year, so he can keep helping out with improving the Solaris OS!

I will need you to send me your internal serial number, which can be found on page 4 of the Home pages, as well as the stickered serial number on the back of your Solaris.

Payment will be via PayPal - please use sales@johnbowen.com.

If you do not have a PayPal account, or want to donate directly in Euros, please email me at info@johnbowen.com.

Please include the serial numbers on your payment message, and be sure to download the Addendum listed here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17137 to familiarize yourself with the new functions.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!
BillySynth

Re: v2.0 OS Released!

Post by BillySynth »

Hi John,

Merry Christmas to all.

Some of us don’t have paypal

Please provide a direct bank account or credit card payment ability

Regards
Billy
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

Hello John and Jim,
Congrats with this amazing release.
It was a pleasure to follow the development of V2.00 and help as much as I could.
Contribution sent.
_arch

Post by _arch »

Waooh, fantastic,
Thanks for your wonderful job!
I will send my contribution.
Octupole

Post by Octupole »

John, Jim, thank you for the V2.0 release - excellent work and an amazing commitment. Donation sent.
niversen

Post by niversen »

Thank you so much for this - just uploaded and successfully installed. I'm very much looking forward to the new oscillator type!
delchambre

Post by delchambre »

Paypal sent, I let you the SN and words in the paypal message.
Thank's again.
personnal stuffs : https://www.delchambre.be
the band : http://www.khohd.be

music is just a hobby, an exutory, a cure to me ...
Toby Emerson

Post by Toby Emerson »

Congrats on the huge and amazing 2.0 update - happy to send over a donation to Jim for his hard work.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Attention new v2.0 OS owners - I was thinking to make an additional video to describe the new Phase Mod oscillator type, but I think I covered most all of it fairly thoroughly in this video I posted earlier last year: https://youtu.be/MnKdk7K8JMQ

The only thing I didn’t mention was the Quantization parameter. This will quantize the waveshape selected, much like bit reduction. The effect is fairly subtle until you get into the very last portion of the range, say above 25 (range is 0-31).

I will be posting a few presets using the quantize function and some other examples of phase mod and phase distortion in a demo bank soon. This bank will also include templates for all the algorithms from the Yamaha DX9 and Reface DX.
valis
Site Admin

Post by valis »

Quantization noise is once again musical :)
F5D

Post by F5D »

Thank you very much for the continued support! I just sent the donation. Happy New Year! :)
jgale

Post by jgale »

Just installed V2.0.

First Multi I created was with one of my CS-80 Poly AT string patches with a Taurus bass patch for my left hand - very cool!

I then explored the new FM oscillators. Made an electric piano patch that made my DX7 jealous...

Great job John and team!

I'm still getting use to the flow of the menus but I'm sure that I will get it!

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

jgale wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:53 pm Just installed V2.0.
I'm still getting use to the flow of the menus but I'm sure that I will get it!

John
Yes, after so many years, it’s difficult for some of us 'old dogs' to learn new tricks! I understand completely, and I’ve had the luxury of working with this system for about a year, so...it does get easier :-)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I put a sample set of D-50 waves over in the Data Files section: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17152&p=24035#p24035

I made a quick preset to play 4 of the loops as a 4-part Multi. All of the info is in the post.
sal

Post by sal »

Congrats for this exciting release and for the exceptional work involved.
Gladly sent the contribution.